upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2013 Spring Meeting  (Read 4932 times)

Scale Chaser

• View Profile
    • Finn Tackle Company
    • Email
Re: 2013 Spring Meeting
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 08:25:39 AM »

I don't have a livewell, just a cooler.  I fish almost exclusively for salmon in the tournament and they can be real tricky to keep alive.  Most people think that because they don't have a livewell they cannot participate in the live release class.  I know a few guys (Take Three) who place pretty much every year that have nothing more then a 70 quart cooler.  I'm certainly not saying everyone should fish the live release class but it can be done and is being done with just coolers full of water.....
Capt. Brad Muscoe
Marquette, MI
Boat Name: Ella Bella
www.finnspoons.com
Please "Like" us at
http://www.facebook.com/FinnTackleCompany

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 08:39:11 AM »

Or... Have people choose a class before the event. Then the money stays with each class respectively. If someone wants to fish live why should their money go in the same pot as dead and vise versa. If the majority of the people fish one class or the other the majority of the cash should stay in that class. IMO

RoDbEnDeR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 08:43:02 AM »

Certain sponsors donate money for just the live release - If it starts getting altered and there money isnt spent in the category its supposed to you will lose that money.  Without those sponsors the tournament suffers.
Rob Kivela

The Bottom Bouncer Lure Rigger

FILET AND RELEASE??

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 09:07:37 AM »

Certain sponsors donate money for just the live release - If it starts getting altered and there money isnt spent in the category its supposed to you will lose that money.  Without those sponsors the tournament suffers.

Altering doesn't mean axing it.

Mylan has the numbers and if I had to guess it was probably 90% of people fished dead or didnt catch anything and 10% fished live. I saw 3 different boats run in with salmon and those boats finnished in the top 3. Same with trout.

Heres my idea.

Live Release-

Weigh in 6 fish.
Once those 6 fish are weighed you are done.

That way the fish that would be "normally" thrown back (especially lakers) will be and teams will just bring in their biggest fish and put some strategy in it, not just who can bring in the most (defeats the purpose of the class imo). You have to choose your fish in the dead class so why shouldn't it be the same for live?

I talk to a lot of people and the main reason they dont fish the live (trout) is they cant compete with the boats that bring in 20+ fish a day and keep em alive or dont want to spend $500 in gas. Tuner showed me his setup last year and if his boat was 2" shorter nobody could fit aboard. There is no way you could successfully fish the trout class with a 70 quart cooler.

RoDbEnDeR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 09:13:45 AM »

So in a sense handicap the tournament so the guys who dont catch fish have a chance???  thats why there was four equal classes set up many years ago - 1000$ for each species in each category.
Rob Kivela

FILET AND RELEASE??

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 09:25:40 AM »

So in a sense handicap the tournament so the guys who dont catch fish have a chance???  thats why there was four equal classes set up many years ago - 1000$ for each species in each category.

Who said anything about handicapping?

What better in your opinion, a guy that brings in a bunch of shakers or a guy that brings in 6 dandies. I know at any other port its the guy that has the cooler of nicer fish. Its a horse a piece I guess. Just sayin if you want more people to fish it it has to be altered. IF it was a total live release tourney and the numbers were limited it would be a total different ball game. Look at last year in the trout. Dave had more weight with his 6 fish than the winner of live release with total amount.

RoDbEnDeR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 09:32:44 AM »

"I talk to a lot of people and the main reason they dont fish the live (trout) is they cant compete with the boats that bring in 20+ fish a day" 

To me I take that as you want the rules changed to make it a level playing field for the guys who fish all day for 3 fish.   Is that really a tournament?   Might as well go to a big fish tourney
Rob Kivela

FILET AND RELEASE??

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »

To me I take that as you want the rules changed to make it a level playing field for the guys who fish all day for 3 fish.   Is that really a tournament?   Might as well go to a big fish tourney

That makes no sense Rob...

Personally I dont care of the rules are changed. Just giving my opinion how i think it could be better and have more people participate thats all.

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 10:55:12 AM »

Would u be allowed to bring it in live...weigh it and fillet it??  LoL
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

RoDbEnDeR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 11:26:44 AM »

I'm sure we could make a class for that to while were at it
Rob Kivela

FILET AND RELEASE??

J.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 01:58:38 PM »

I would be in favor of making it a six fish live release and done thing.  It would certainly open up the playing field a little bit and put some more thought to strategy.  Might be a good Spring Meeting discussion topic.  I don't think the current format is broke, but it certainly could be updated if done in a thoughtful manner.  Just my two cents. 

Toolman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 04:53:50 PM »

I don't think that is a terrible idea either.  You could still have a horse trough of lakers swimming around in your boat if you wanted, just weigh your 6 best fish.  That said, this is the reason they have a tournament committee and a bunch of meetings during the summer, so these ideas can be talked about.  Everybody is welcom to join The committee!
Ray Uimari
Take Three
Marquette, MI

highline

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 05:11:01 PM »

I like the six fish limit on live release too.
Either way im fine with whatever decision is made...

JR
Dan Audette
boat name:Highline
Homeport:Marquette,MI
moonshine lures prostaff www.moonshinelures.com

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »

I am going to be the downer and say my opinion is. The fish do not survive live release. Especially as warm as the water was last year.
 But I will play by what ever rules are written.

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 06:53:32 PM »

I agree with MikeM.. I think it could be done in the spring with cold water but in the fall with 60+ degree water isn't a very good success rate for live release.   Whatever works for me...I just wanna fish!!! 
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI
Pages: 1 [2] 3