upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Deer numbers and winter kill.  (Read 2577 times)

Anney Alewife

Deer numbers and winter kill.
« on: February 06, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »

So how did everyone feel about the deer numbers this year, including bucks vs. does, body size, antler size, etc.?

Also, how do you feel about the winter so far, and how it may be affecting the deer numbers? Do you think we will see a lot of winter kill?

Just something to think about while we are all getting shack and salmon happy  :thmb:

2cgood

• View Profile
Re: Deer numbers and winter kill.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:08:54 PM »

on our property and surrounding area the deer seem to be doing just fine with buck ratio and horn size.  we've always had an "8" pt rule   but with number of other hunters around it's def more difficult to choose what to shoot.  for me, the biggest detriment to rifle season is the wheather and bucks not needing to show up in the usual places or even move during the day
casey goodman
kipling, mi
Boat: "road commission"  17ft starcraft SFM

south side

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 06:13:14 PM »

A lot of the deer that were shot around mqt that I have seen had very little fat on them..
Randy LHuillier
MQT
boat:: South Side II

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 12:50:19 AM »

Taterholics were healthy by me, not that many and nothing over 3.5 old. But hey its reestablishing time.
I'm still putting out a dribble of corn for something to watch waiting for Wiley.
Took an eater doe fawn this year was all.

Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Bruno

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:18:04 AM »

That guy looks like he enjoys the French fries Al!

youp50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:10:52 AM »

THAT spike is why the DNR is so anti feral swine.  The DNR will not admit it, but the whitetails and hogs will cross breed.  The crossbreeding is not the problem, the problem is the black market demand on low cholesterol bacon. ;D
Proudly eating tomorrow's trophy whitetails...today!

Toolman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »

THAT spike is why the DNR is so anti feral swine.  The DNR will not admit it, but the whitetails and hogs will cross breed.  The crossbreeding is not the problem, the problem is the black market demand on low cholesterol bacon. ;D

That's funny right there! :beer:
Ray Uimari
Take Three
Marquette, MI

youp50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 08:21:22 PM »

Now to the OP.  A good to great red oak acorn crop should have put most of the deer with oak ridges in their expanded autumn home range butter fat going into the yards.  The late snows put the deer late into the yards.  As always the tough time for them is in the spring when increasing daylight increases their metabolism.  Late winter/early spring is always the time they need to get out of the yard. 

Current snow cover does not seem to be heavy enough to really restrict their movement and place them at greater risks to predation.  Particularly the joy kills young of the year wolves are primarily responsible for.
Proudly eating tomorrow's trophy whitetails...today!

always gone

• View Profile
    • Northern Steel Outfitters
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »

The deer currently (at least in my area of the UP) have not moved into their typical winter ranges. I have been down to Pt. Detour and the southern end of the Garden and have not seen the typical activity seen most winters this time of year. Snow levels range from 15 to 20 inches from Fayette to Shingleton.

I have also been to 3 active logging jobs recently that are located within winter deer yards and have not seen much activity. I am seeing tracks alot further north than I usually see this time of year. The herd is alot more spread out than they typically are. Areas that have high Oak abundance are holding deer still, and they are feeding agressively here still. Partly due to the enormous acorn crop last year and the lack of snow so far this winter.

It is looking like another easy winter for them, but it is not over yet.

DooFighter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 12:08:40 AM »

Taterholics were healthy by me, not that many and nothing over 3.5 old. But hey its reestablishing time.
I'm still putting out a dribble of corn for something to watch waiting for Wiley.
Took an eater doe fawn this year was all.

That little taterholic is enjoying himself!  He's been snacking more than packer fans on sunday afternoon.  Porky!
Gary Tackman
SeeSwell

Alewife Advocate

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 04:36:19 PM »

No oaks within miles of me, all old fashioned brush eating deer. A soft wood logging operation has begun in the neighborhood and welcomed by the deer and I. The timing couldn't be better and the deer are flocking in. My bud is gonna be in for a rude surprise as his #1 tree blind spot is clearcut.  :poke:
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

ripline

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »

Any thoughts now that we're in April and the way Winter is hanging on????
Another winter storm forcasted and it's nearing mid april.
Thoughts

always gone

• View Profile
    • Northern Steel Outfitters
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 09:57:43 PM »

Survival is largely correlated to how long winter persists into the spring and when they can get out of the yards to new forage. Been seeing quite a few dead ones in the woods. Only good thing is the snow was so deep they could reach new food this year that they couldn't reach in previous years. Observed quite a few deer in the Garden Peninsula taking advantage of the larger than usual plow banks to stand on and browse some cedar. grin()

chefdavid

• Mr. Twister
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 09:52:23 AM »

our local biologist stated at our club meeting last month that the deer heard in the eastern up are in critical condition and that she is expecting a large die off this year.  The few deer that she was able to biopsy had very little to no bone marrow left.
David

little buddy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »

Its gonna be awhile before things green up sad()
Adam
Little Buddy
Id rather be lucky than good!