upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Maple Syrup 2013  (Read 1768 times)

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
Maple Syrup 2013
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:45:12 PM »

Sap ran hard last week.  I only collected and boiled down 21 gals but got well over half a gallon of syrup.  Collected 6 gals today before it froze, not bad for only 10 taps.  I would think with the forecast, starting Wednesday, it should be really dripping again.  Plan is to boil off 40 gal or so.  Leaves me enough for the year.
John Kyle

Can anyone tell me why Bottom Bouncer catches so many fish?
Most popular answer:  Gill nets

Super Yooper

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Maple Syrup 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:30:59 PM »

Ran good for me last Thursday and Friday, got a little bit on Saturday and now we aren't producing anymore here in Iron County.  We've been getting pretty cold at night and not above freezing during the day.  I'm thinking along the same lines as you and really hope it picks up Wednesday and on.  I'm no where near what I would like to get for the year.
Bill Artwich
22' Starcraft Islander - "Fish Flu"
Iron River, MI

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:57:36 PM »

Got 9 gal of fresh sap today.  Seems to have run pretty good.  Should get a bit more in coming days but the weather says snow and then the sap weather looks a bit sketchy.  I am hoping for a few more good days to get enough but not sure.  So far, I have 36 gals of sap collected.  Boiled off 27 so far.  With the 9 gal today and hopefully some tomorrow, should get enough to reduce tomorrow again.

No expert  but my understanding is the later runs of sap have less sugar, more boiling?  Its fun anyway.
John Kyle

Can anyone tell me why Bottom Bouncer catches so many fish?
Most popular answer:  Gill nets

Super Yooper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 02:38:16 PM »

I've heard the same thing about the later run but never really paid attention to the ratio of sap to finished product.  I enjoy doing it for fun also, its a bonus when I get enough syrup for the family and a couple friends.
Bill Artwich
22' Starcraft Islander - "Fish Flu"
Iron River, MI