upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Autrain Lake  (Read 11467 times)

arin

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Autrain Lake
« on: July 23, 2008, 07:45:33 PM »

Anyone fish Autrain lake recently? Going up there and dont know anything about it really. Looking to get into some smallies/walleye.Any tips?

MikeM

• View Profile
Re: Autrain Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 07:02:42 AM »

4th of July weekend I fished that lake for two days. Got several Pike. couple bullheads. But I couldn't get onto anything else. Locals are mad at the DNR because they claim the DNR have not stocked the lake in many years. Locals also claimed there was some big insect hatch right before I got there.
 I would troll north and south along a ledge. Marked a ton of fish. But I sure couldn't figure out what kind of fish, since I was not smart enough to figure out how to get one into the boat. So I got the idea to try at night. Fish bit good in the holes then. Bullheads.

I found lots of pike in the shallows around inbound creeks and weed beds. I always had luck on that lake for pike with a red and white Daredevil. But the brother in law out fished me this year with body baits.

So if you figure that lake out, I sure would like to hear about it.

arin

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:28:10 PM »

Bummer. I'll be staying in one of the cabins on the SE side and MAY only have a boat and oars at my service, so I will probably be fishing the river mouth pretty heavily and obviously just casting.

The DNR website says:
18,383 walleye stocked in 2005[avg length 1.5"]
1,000 walleye stocked in 2004[avg length 6.6"]
25,573 walleye stocked in 2003[avg length 2.4"]
~54,000 walleye stocked in 2001

Seems like there should be something in there! Or maybe some fat pike from eating thousands of the mini walleye  ;D ;D

EDIT: You try any other spots around Autrain? Might try some of the creeks and such for some trout or maybe check out Deer lake.

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 06:56:20 PM »

its been awhile...  but everytime i go there  i slay the walleyes  in the evenings!   try a floating jig with a leach or a half of a crawler  on the north end of the lake between the the main road and the mouth of the river about 75 off shore.    if you dont catch any ......go home and watch a babe winkleman walleye video on jigging techniques!  LOL   good luck!!
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

arin

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:31:16 PM »

its been awhile...  but everytime i go there  i slay the walleyes  in the evenings!   try a floating jig with a leach or a half of a crawler  on the north end of the lake between the the main road and the mouth of the river about 75 off shore.    if you dont catch any ......go home and watch a babe winkleman walleye video on jigging techniques!  LOL   good luck!!
Like I said, I'm rather far away from that part of the lake, and if I cant make it there have you ever tried the southern part of the lake? Where the river comes into the lake?

Vertigo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 12:15:16 AM »

My son has fished the deeper water there and has caught walleye and nice perch the flats along there hold pike as well. Try the same things listed above a lindy rigged crawler or leach can also be very good..

Vertigo
Kevin
Kevin Goodman

Dayooper

• New Guy
  • Munising Pictured Rock slide
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 08:52:07 AM »

Hi folks... I will be fishing Autrain Lake next week....  I have a cabin there and fish when ever I can.  The lake has some walleys, but the bigger fish are far and few between.  Last summer I hooked a 6 pounder..I think that is the biggest one I ever caught there.  Lots of hammer-handles....  But...if you can get two or three to make a meal, what else can you ask for!  I troll most of the time with crawler harnesses just outside the weed lines, and do some drifting with floaters in the deep holes..... Come join the fun!
Fish Tales

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 11:05:43 AM »

I fished there last week. We fished in close on Autrain Bay (too foggy) so we tried Autrain Lake. There was a huge caddis fly hatch going but the depthfinder was full of fish top to bottom. tried trolling, nothing. so we started on the north shore and drifted jigs with a piece of worm. I hooked and caught three huge fish—all suckers. These were monsters, they all took drag and fought really well. I checked the master angler lists and I think I could have gotten a master angler award for each one.

I think the walleyes were busy with the hatch going on. Nice lake though.

redrover

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 11:16:36 AM »

Have a camp there for 9 yrs now. Terrific world class sucker lake. The dnr quit netting them due to the yearly spring replenishment of them. I think we are now 5 years wo wally plantings. A yr ago some kid for the dnr sat on the lake 40 hr a week all summer and did fish survey!  He said first they might drop the size limit for hammer handles some time in the future. Then if and when that didn't work we could get coupons for Thills. kidding This lake use to be great place for spring opener but really sucks the last 5 or more yrs. If you fish there kill all the pike and feed the eagles, as its loaded with slime doggies(wife). Some rock bass have been showing up as of late also.
The wife n I spent 51 nights there last yr and killed 72 keepers, and paid 2400$ in taxes. I haven't figured out how much a bite yet.  :kick:

Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 11:43:18 AM »

Heck I have been catching and releasing the pike. Only thing there I can catch. Except the bullheads. Which I find to be an ugly bottom feeder of a fish.
 My father in law has a camp there as well. So I get to spend some time there. I end up going over to the bay with my smaller boat. And pulling the kids on their tube on the lake. Lake is shallow by his dock, hurt my prop there a couple years ago.
 My dad was never into fishing, he gets bored too fast. But that is one place he would take me fishing when I was a kid. Because he could catch pike all day long.

UPHAWKEYE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 01:14:36 PM »

I love bullheads.  Deep fried in beer batter......Yummy. 
Brad R. Little Lake

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 01:29:24 PM »

Really? I fight with the brother-n-law as to who is going to take those nasty things off the hook.

UPHAWKEYE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 02:37:24 PM »

Oh yea.  I grew up in Iowa and did a lot of bullhedin.  While in boy scouts, we took an annual trip to Minnesota and had monster bullhead fish fries.  Good stuff.  Gotta watch out for those stingers....OUCH !!!
Brad R. Little Lake

Thirsty Whaler

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 07:50:22 PM »

Mike,

Just grab a pair of channel locks, slit the skin completely around the body just behind the gill cover opening. Then just grab the skin with a pair of pliers and peel to the the tail as one piece. Dehead 'em and gut 'em and your are ready to go. We used to use ice rods over the side while we were duck hunting on Munuscong Bay to catch perch, walleye and bullhead between flight of birds. They are even pretty tasty smoked over a cherry wood fire!

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 08:28:24 AM »

1 week to go.

Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI
Pages: [1] 2