upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2013 SSFA BB/BS and Kid's Fishing Derby  (Read 1879 times)

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
2013 SSFA BB/BS and Kid's Fishing Derby
« on: August 13, 2013, 12:42:08 PM »

SSFA will be hosting a Big Brothers/Big Sisters and Kids Fishing Derby on Saturday, September 14, 2013.  The event will take place at Lakenenland located at 2800 M-28  Chocolay Township, MI 49855, across from Shot Point.  The event will start at noon and include fishing for rainbow trout, a picnic, a walk through the park, games, and prizes.  Please bring your child, grandchild, niece or nephew to the event, all kids are welcome!   

If your child has his or her own fishing pole, please bring it, otherwise one will be provided for them.

Please RSVP by email to: mkoski@trimediaee.com.  If you have questions, please email Mylan Koski or call 360-4027.

Hope to see you there.

Mylan Koski

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2013 SSFA BB/BS and Kid's Fishing Derby
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »

Just a reminder, the SSFA kid's fishing derby is this Saturday from 12:00 to 4:00 pm at Lakenenland.  Fishing will start at noon.  Fishing poles and bait will be provided for all kids.  Lunch will be provided for all kids at 2 pm.  Three fish will be tagged.  If your child catches a tagged fish they will win a prize from Donckers. 

Yooperdad

• View Profile
    • Mike's Eyeflies
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »

Mylan, you and the SSFA rock  :rock:

I took three of my grand children out to the event yesterday, ages 9, 6, and 4.  They had a ball.  Didn't catch much, but still had a great time with fishing, lunch, a new fishing pole and reel, a ride through Lakenenland, and playing on the outdoor adventure equipment there at Lakenenland.  I have driven by that place a hundred times over the years and never knew it was as special as it is....highly recommend others to stop with your kids or grand kids and do the tour of the "special art".  Just amazing.

The SSFA deserves a huge "Thumbs Up" for your efforts.  And no doubt, all the kids and parents who were able to be there yesterday appreciated your efforts.

Thanks again,

Mike
Mike Paluda
Marquette
aka "Yooperdad"
www.eyeflies.com

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »

Thank you Mike.  All I can say about the day is WOW, what an awesome day.  By the end of the day we had almost 150 kids and their families come out to Lakenenland to enjoy the day with us.  The weather and location were perfect, our hosts, Tom and Lisa Lakenen, were great!  Tom's new pavilion with its giant fireplace, the giant stage for kids to play on, and the countless creations on display all across the property are incredible.  Like Mike said, if you have never been to Lakenenland, pack up your kids and take a trip out there to see everything Tom's created to share with our community.  Lakenenland is truly a special place.

By the end of the day SSFA provided a brand new fishing pole, hooks, sinkers, bobbers, and bait to at least 125 kids to spend some quality time with their families doing what all of us in SSFA love to do on a Saturday afternoon, go fishing.  The kids fished for a couple hours and then we served them all pizza and juice or water for lunch.  After lunch many kids went right back to fishing, while others played on the stage, the playground equipment,  or went on a hayride around the park with Tom at the wheel of his tractor.  One of the three tagged trout was caught by Cole Harris.  Cole was given a $50 gift certificate provided by Doncker's.  The smiling faces and happy families were everywhere.  The thank you's and compliments telling us what a great thing we were doing were many.

Thank you to everyone who came out to share the day with us, including SSFA Members and Board of Directors who helped with everything from filling bait cups, to stringing up poles, helping kids and families cast and untangle lines, to picking up at the end of the day.  I would also like to thank our Corporate Sponsors, without your financial assistance we would not be able to have events like this.  A special thanks goes out to Tom and Lisa Lakenen for sharing their wonderful park with us, and as importantly, welcoming us back next year to do it again!  I'd also like to thank Dunhams Sports for helping SSFA with acquiring all the fishing gear, Doncker's for providing gift certificates for tagged fish prizes and a bag of gummy fish for every kid, and Main Street Pizza for helping us provide lunch for everyone.

Here are some photos from the event:

Scale Chaser

• View Profile
    • Finn Tackle Company
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »

Great job SSFA!  My wife and kids had a great time out there on Saturday (I was at work).  It was certainly a huge hit and they're looking forward to it next year already.  Job well done!  :thmb:
Capt. Brad Muscoe
Marquette, MI
Boat Name: Ella Bella
www.finnspoons.com
Please "Like" us at
http://www.facebook.com/FinnTackleCompany