upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Shanty Towns  (Read 2507 times)

SnIpEr

• View Profile
Re: Shanty Towns
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 11:42:41 PM »

Most of those shacks together are friends. People also set up multiple shanties or have friends set up shanties to keep other people out of the area but hardly ever fish.

I never said it was about me or where I fish. Just giving you some examples. Next time you ask a question lock the topic. I just stated most people dont want strangers as company. And they dont.
Ryan Erickson
Boat name- Sniper
Ishpeming,Mi

-Proudly affiliated with- *** www.moonshinelures.com | *** www.bustingwatertackle.com| *** www.mrmqt.com

always gone

• View Profile
    • Northern Steel Outfitters
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 12:10:34 AM »

Legally you can fish wherever you want to fish.......I remember my younger years of ice fishing where we walked out on the lake, picked a permanent shack...drilled holes 2 feet from it because it was bad weather and we needed a wind break.

We really hoped the guy never showed up that night, if he did  we were going to leave. If you choose to set up by other people, be prepared for some drama....

Best advice, pick a spot on a map you want to fish, and fish it...regardless if someone else is there or not.

setting up next to a group of shacks isn't the right option...especially if you do it because you think the other guys are catching fish......90% of the other guys are there because they are doing the same thing as you.

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »

I fish where I want to fish. More often than not I am not going to fish on top of you, however I do not think 30 yards away is too close. I have never had a problem when ice fishing. It is not like lake fishing soft water where you land a fish and you are instantly boxed in by boats.

youp50

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 07:24:17 PM »

...and some of us can honestly laugh when another scales a fish with a gaff. :poke:
Proudly eating tomorrow's trophy whitetails...today!

Chesapeake

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »

Look, if it's lbdn, and you're on structure, you're gonna have company. Like Adam said , legally you can fish anywhere. I went out tonight ( and I'm not really on any major structure) and had two guys within 30 feet. I wasn't super happy, but what am I gonna do? The one guy was nice (called me sir , which kinda pissed me off cause it made me feel old ) and actually moved one of his tip ups further away to give me some space. Would it be nice if I wa the only one there? Sure? Am I gonna piss and moan and let it ruin my day? No. If the walleye fishing keeps up like this I may be the only one left.

Troll

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 09:25:43 PM »

When I lived up in Minnesota/Wisconsin folks would set up shantys in groups that looked like small towns. Rows of 40 shacks 10ft apart. Christmas trees over the holidays and Christmas lights all over the place. When the fish were biting we all did well and had a ball. When they were not, well we just had another beer. If you wanted solitude you just hopped in your truck and headed out to a fresh spot. Here in Muskegon folks set up next to each other and I've never seen the anger expressed on this thread you guys seem to have when you are on the fish and others join you. Drill about 20 holes and your area will stay quiet. Plus a lot of guys dropping bait often will bring in more fish.
Tom/ Home Port Whitehall Michigan

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »

I think it is what you grow up getting used to. I grew up fishing with people that tried not to pack fish/finding alternatives to get away from people and usually went where others weren't. If I grew up fishing areas like LBDN or Muskegon it probably wouldnt be a issue at all to fish next to a bunch of people. Prolly the same reason I never fished LBDN or river fish too much. To each his own.
Ryan Erickson
Boat name- Sniper
Ishpeming,Mi

-Proudly affiliated with- *** www.moonshinelures.com | *** www.bustingwatertackle.com| *** www.mrmqt.com

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 09:53:23 PM »

Just sucks that there aren't more decent places to ice fish Walleye anymore in this state. When everyone is confined to one bay to try to catch a decent mess of Walleye for dinner/fun shit is bound to happen.
Ryan Erickson
Boat name- Sniper
Ishpeming,Mi

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 10:06:43 PM »

To any new or young anglers looking at this post for guidelines for etiquette, just know that it is very poor etiquette to drill holes two feet away from a permanent shack to use it as a windbreak. When someone drills holes that close to a permanent it usually causes that area to flood. The weight of the permanent along with the tendency of snow to drift on the downwind side of these shacks puts pressure on the ice, when holes are drilled right next to them it causes water to come up. It also causes a very real hidden tripping hazard because the drifting snow can keep the holes from freezing. A much better idea would be to contact the owner of the shack (names and addresses are required on all of them) and explain that you are new to ice fishing and don't have a shelter to fish in. More often than not you'd get an invitation to join them in the shack. If you were to bring bait or offer to clean fish for the owner, he might even give you a key.

catchafew

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 10:44:25 PM »

Lots of good points about etiquette, I'll try not to be too much of a FIB out there. 

Well my buddies and I were about quarter mile SNIPER's shanty when he stepped outside and just stared at us...  We got the point and ended up popping holes in Thunder Bay.  jk

always gone

• View Profile
    • Northern Steel Outfitters
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 10:45:29 PM »

Yes, not something I would ever do again. Just remembering the high school years walking out with no shack, a back pack, and some tip-ups.

Anney Alewife

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 05:24:29 AM »

The most crucial key element to it all, once you do find fish, if you are alone, or maybe even not alone, is to keep it low key, as in, don't give away the fact that you are just layin' into some dandies. People will be on you like flies on buska! It happens to me all too often, but sometimes, when you have a flag going off every 5 minutes, it is hard to hide the fact that you are just slayin' em. Either way, it is a roll of the dice. The majority of people WILL be all over you in a heartbeat.

Prime example: 2 yrs ago, Indian Lake. I mean those flags of ours were poppin' so hot and fresh, we just couldn't keep them in the water. Low and behold, a little while later, BAM! here come the people. I guess I do feel bad the shacks 1/4 mile a way or more were doing poorly, but it was kind of a shitty deal. Not much you can do. If you accidently drive over the intruders tip-ups, your problems will go away, for awhile anyway, maybe. Would I recommend it, well, not unless you want to be crippled up like Anderson Silva, or be missing teeth like those hockey players.

Etiquette is a must, cause you never know what kind of nice guy, like SNIPER can be, when he wants to, you might meet. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours, but you never mess with another man's rubarb, period.

If there weren't any players, there wouldn't be a game.

Fish-ti-cuffs

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • UPangler
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 10:07:20 AM »

I don't think the permanent shacks are a problem, it is more of an etiquette problem.
What sucks is to find the perfect spot on the bay in about 12 feet of water with weeds on one side and you are all by yourself.
you get there early and clean up all your holes, get the tip-ups out, start marking nice fish on the vex, then hear what sounds like someone slamming the bucket of an excavator on the ice.
You look outside and there are three guys with two clams six feet out your shack door. They are wearing $300 ice armor bibs and jackets, brand new vex (or marcum) electronics, custom made rods, and have a spud that their great grandfather welded up with surplus steel after world war 2.
It does't even have an edge on it, just rolled over rounded steel that is used as a pry bar in gravel during the summer.
I offered to drill their holes for them, but "they were good", So the three guys proceed to "spud" 9 holes in 6' - 12' of water through 22" of ice which takes about an hour.
 :nuts:

I just cringe, i don't own the bay, and thankfully they don't usually come back.
Etiquette........
Brett
Brett Lewis
FishTiCuffs
><))))°>

"It's on like Bing Bong, Jack" --Uncle Si

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »

It definetly sucks when u show up early and are prepared for prime time and joe blow shows up a half hour before dark and starts scaring every walleye for miles.     Every lake is gonna be different.....I think the worst manners are the ones invading space while walleye fishing because of the noise thing.   If your fishing panfish....go ahead and drill holes close because it usually doesn't effect the fishing.  Just my experience anyways....no matter what not everyone will be on the same page.  Cant take a guy who's used to combat fishing and and have him fish next to a guy who is used to privacy and expect not to clash.   Part of the game of public property....a little common sense goes a long way.....unfortunately not everyone has that.  LoL
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

Toolman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2013, 10:23:57 PM »

You guys are starting to remind me of why I don't ice fish much anymore!
Ray Uimari
Take Three
Marquette, MI
Pages: 1 [2] 3