upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 2014 Maple Season  (Read 10780 times)

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
Re: 2014 Maple Season
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »

Thanks!   Anywhere in marquette besides marezdoats that have the supplies?  Tractor supply is out and not getting anymore.  Hoping to have some trees tapped tomorrow
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

Chesapeake

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 09:04:18 PM »

Started boiling about 60-70 gallons today. Last year was my first year , again because my daughter asked. I made up this contraption out of concrete blocks. I was told on good advise that you need a chimney to get the smoke away from the sap. I finish on a turkey fryer. I found last year that when it gets close to being done it will start to froth hard. I quit there and it was perfect strength for me. I did buy a hydrometer for this year. As for storage I use my big fish coolers. Scrubbed out they work well.

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 10:35:05 PM »

Arn, I have only seen the supplies at Mar Z Doats but don't really pay much attention.  I did get some stuff in houghton at a hardware store once too. 

Chesapeake:  that's a nice big pan, you should get thru a lot of sap fast!

I just boiled some water to test the boiling pt and it was the same as last year, 210.3 Fahrenheit which will make the syrup finish temp 217.4 degrees.
John Kyle

Can anyone tell me why Bottom Bouncer catches so many fish?
Most popular answer:  Gill nets

youp50

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 05:42:26 AM »

The current barometric pressure does affect the boiling point.  Most thermometers are not 212 when the water starts to boil.  A hydrometer is better.

After its filtered and put into a jar, flip the jar over and let it cool and seal upside down.  Less opportunity for mold to grow. 

There is a decent supply house north of Wausau called Maple Hollow. 
Yea, we caught a couple little ones.

Chesapeake

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2014, 07:45:00 AM »

Also Mel's in Escanaba had some supplies, not sure about now.

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 09:27:26 PM »

All setup to make the "gold syrup".....I call it that seeing it should be made of gold!  300+ bucks later I think I got everything I need....LoL.  Got 8 gallons in the first 8 hours....think I would of got more if I would of tapped my trees after I talked to john.   I would of probably said hell with it and didn't do it if I would of bought my stainless pot first instead of last.....already had sap flowing and everything else I needed THEN searched the whole city of mqt to find a stainless pot    picked up a 32 quart for 140$   wow....wasn't expecting that! LoL
Oh well....it will be the best maple syrup I've ever had by the time its on my French toast....gonna tell myself that anyways!!   
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »

Only 5 1/2 gal sap yesterday and today!
WTH!!!
John Kyle

youp50

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »

Too warm at night.  If it doesn't get below freezing at night it normally runs all night, then stops.  Upper 40s in the day, sun and no wind, back down to upper 20s at night.  You will scramble to boil the all sap that is collecting.

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 12:28:40 PM »

Had 5 gals of sap from the other day before it froze and didn't want to waste it so I boiled it down and got a surprising amount of syrup for the sap boiled.  Must of been a good sugar content.  Interesting to me was the difference in color of the finished product, it was noticeably darker but was outstanding flavor.  Hoping for another strong run starting this weekend.  Doesn't look like much is gonna flow the next day or two.
John Kyle

Lowe Troller

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »

Only been able to do one boil this year so far due to lack of sap. We did 120 gallons last week and got good tasting syrup. Our ratio was right around 1:52. What's everyone else getting so far for sugar content?
Chad Ott
206G Grady White Overnighter
Boat Name: UpGrady
Marquette, MI

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »

Not sure on the math but my production has been fairly constant during the early sap runs.  I only boiled 16 gallons on the first batch and was shy a half gallon of syrup by only about a half pint.  I'm guessing I'm a little less than the 40:1 ratio but I haven't been able to  get any consistent amounts of sap!  I only have 10 taps anyway so it is what it is.
John Kyle

youp50

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 07:00:08 PM »

Things that affect the color of finished syrup; Time of the season, as the season progresses the sap gets cloudy.  I understand it to be a combination of factors, bacteria growth and sugars beginning to turn to starch.  The time and temp that sap is held, holding a long time at higher temperature grows more bacteria. 

Early sap is clear as spring water.  It will boil down to the higher grade, light amber syrup.

The length of time sap is boiled.  That is why progressive evaporators are superior to batch pans.

Clean your boiling equipment.  Commercial cleaners are available from a sugar supply house.

If your trees have been tapped for a couple of weeks, the weather gets warm, and then gets back into the 20s to 40s, night and days, sunny and no wind.  No sap flow?  Lightly retap your trees.  Picks the 'scab' and gets sap flowing again.  Some commercial operators will put a formaldehyde pill into the hole at the start of the season to combat the bacteria growth that stops the sap flow.

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »

By far today is the best run of sap that I have had. It is really dripping strong today!  Had my first leaking bag ever too or I would have had more.  No tracks in the snow so it wasn't a squirrel.  Probably from it freezing the other night and the bag rubbing on the bark.  On the bright side, my wife went for a walk today and found a dead coyote with tire tracks across his belly:)!!
John Kyle

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »

Only boiled down enough for a quart today.  Very light amber batch.  Flowed hard again today.  I might be done with the sap I have and this last run I think, should have enough for us and camp.
John Kyle

grizzlyadams73

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2014, 08:37:15 PM »

collected about 50 gallons today
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4