upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone know Sturgeon Bay WI area?  (Read 4784 times)

MikeM

• View Profile
Anyone know Sturgeon Bay WI area?
« on: April 28, 2014, 06:32:18 AM »

We are thinking about staying there a week. Seeing what it is like to fish with the big dogs in a tourney.
Any info on campgrounds and things to do? I know what I would be doing, but things for the families.

Scale Chaser

• View Profile
    • Finn Tackle Company
    • Email
Re: Anyone know Sturgeon Bay WI area?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 02:02:32 PM »

I've been there a number times, Mike.  When I have a few more minutes I'll type some more details and try to answer your questions.
Capt. Brad Muscoe
Marquette, MI
Boat Name: Ella Bella
www.finnspoons.com
Please "Like" us at
http://www.facebook.com/FinnTackleCompany

noogaz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »

It is definitely a tourist trap, there is a lot to do for the family if they like the beaches, historical buildings/tours, wine tasting, lots of trinket shops. But for me it is the FISHING!!!
Chad Raisanen                                                       
Ishpeming,MI                                                     Boat name: Tail Gunner

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »

Was up in that area once.....seems like a decent size town should be plenty to do.  Seemed similar to an U.P town ...even has a wal mart! LoL
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

WCScenario

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 09:05:44 PM »

Ill be watching the details also , I plan on doing the sheboygan tournament and the sturgeon bay this year for the fun of it ..my wifes parents live in sheboygan so the family will have plenty to do and make the wife happy she can spend time with her mom.. Win Win for both of us.. Also enter that 333 tourny on top of the other local ones.. Can't wait for summer ! So x2 any info would be awesome..
Blayne
Currently Boat Less..
Home Port: Fairport Marina

KillitandGrillit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:44:33 PM »

I was born and raised in Sturgeon Bay, worked for years as first mate on a charter there.

Just a few things to keep in mind about fishing out of SB:

1. The ride out of the canal is a real bastard. Plan on blowing 45 minutes each way...most of the way is no wake.
2. The Bank reef is a phenominal fishery- that being said, the break is very short and boat traffic is INSANE.

There are not a ton of campgrounds. Jellystone is going to be your best bet though...really nice campground with lots of activities if you have kiddos.

As far as stuff to do besides fishing, the night life in SB is pretty decent....lots of music and bars. The Pudgy Seagull on 3rd has a fantastic breakfast, and I would highly reccomend reservations at the Inn at Cedar Crossings for dinner. There are a number of wineries to tour if the wives are looking for something to do. Fish Creek might be another good place to send them while you fish....just don't send them with a credit card.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to drop me a PM.
Damian Sleger

Scale Chaser

• View Profile
    • Finn Tackle Company
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 10:55:13 PM »

Mike,

I echo a lot of what Damian said.

We spent the better part of a week fishing there every August before we got our bigger boat.  We would also spend a long weekend there every winter.  We obviously really enjoy it in Sturgeon Bay.  There is lots to do from a "tourist" stand point.  Shops, sight seeing, wineries, etc. etc.  Plenty of good restaurants in the area, too.  Not to mention the highway between Green Bay and Sturgeon bay is very, very good now with the recent conversion from 2 lane to a divided 4 lane.  So, getting back to Green Bay to do things would be an easy trip for the family.  Its only about 40-45 minutes between the two towns now.  If fact, if your family left the hotel the same time you left the marina, they'd probably get to Green Bay about the same time you'd get to the fishing grounds.  As for lodging, we tried a few of the "budget" hotels (Super 8, etc) the first couple time there and it just didn't cut it during an extended stay.  The money we'd save on the room was spent eating out because of the lack of a kitchen.  We started staying at the Bridgeport Resort in about 2008 and haven't stayed anywhere else since, winter or summer.  It's right on the canal, next to the Michigan St. lift bridge, across the parking lot from one of the many marinas in town.  Having a full kitchen and picking up groceries saves a bunch of money on eating out and offsets the higher price of room.  Not to mention the extra space is really nice for the people not fishing.  Some of the rooms/suites are large enough for 2-3 families.  We don't even look anyplace else for lodging when we go to Sturgeon Bay anymore.

As for the fishing..."The Bank" is the best place to start.  It is very easy to see on any chart.  Head out of the pier heads and angle to the northeast about 5 miles.  As stated by Damian, the boat traffic can be very nuts.  Some of the worst I've seen anywhere.  Also, don't worry about eating breakfast before you head to the boat, you'll have plenty of time on the ride out.  It is all of 40-45 minutes from the marina near the Michigan St. lift bridge to the pier heads.  It's actually kind of a nice time to get the lures all picked out, rods all rigged up and have a cup of coffee.  That being said some real pigs are caught out of Sturgeon Bay every year.  Just like anywhere, find your own pocket of fish away from the traffic and stay on them.  No need to fish in "The Bank" pack but it is always a good place to start. 

I hope this helps....

Depending upon how work goes this spring/summer you might see us there again in August.  ;D
Capt. Brad Muscoe
Marquette, MI
Boat Name: Ella Bella
www.finnspoons.com
Please "Like" us at
http://www.facebook.com/FinnTackleCompany

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »

Thanks for the replies. If we make this trip, we will be bringing our camping trailer. So I am also interested in good campgrounds as well. Jellystone is one I have been looking at.

TERMINATOR

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • TERMINATOR Charters Pentwater MI
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:23:45 PM »

Thanks for the replies. If we make this trip, we will be bringing our camping trailer. So I am also interested in good campgrounds as well. Jellystone is one I have been looking at.

I fished the Lexington Homes tourny there 3 years in a row and placed on the pro side.

Yes, the long ride to the water sucks.

Yes the bank is "the place"...but everybody that leaves the harbor knows that so if you are going to go there be ready for combat fishing including the biggest boats playing "Chicken" and running you up onto the bank (we were in a 33' boat and got muscled off our line by bigger boats that won the game of chicken)

We did well by fishing just south of the bank by some humps at first light.  During the tourny we stopped before everyone got to the bank and had doubles before other boats were close to setting up.  We fished with only a boat or two anywhere near us (they saw us hooked up and stopped LOL)  We would fish off the bank until late morning when the other boats scattered and then we went in there and took fish

If you want, give me a call before you head to SB and I will tell you what I know.  I am now back on the MI side and will never fish there again most likely so I will give up my info LOL
Capt. Skip Berry
www.terminatorcharters.com
Pentwater, MI

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 12:44:18 PM »

Well, even though this year has been a struggle. We made the reservations. I am now getting rather excited about this trip. Wife and kids too, for their own reasons.
 The description of the bigger boats wanting to push me around, makes me think I may make the news though.

DooFighter

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »

Just be careful and let us know how it went.  Anxious to hear as well.  Good luck!

[derail fixed]

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »

We went, we saw we got schooled. Fantastic time though. Amazing area and boats. Locals not so friendly. Only the folks in the pontoons with a beer in hand will wave. And don't even get me started on the Tiara boat owners.
 Boat showed up Wednesday after noon. Got to take a trip out to put down a track and see things in the day light before trying it in the dark. Went out to what I believe is what they call the bank. Hooked up right away with teenager. Thought we would go back in before it was dark, but that did not work out, due to fighting fish. Good way to clear lines. Out in the AM. Catching kings in the teens right off the bat. We are thinking this is going to be a blast at this time. But as the sun comes up, it all shuts down. As we trolled along, not catching. The tournament start time dawns on us. Now we are realizing we have a problem. Did pick up a couple during the morning. Came in with a box of fish that did get us compliments. But we knew at what time the majority were caught.
 So Friday. Ladies and kids tournament. Great event. Wife and kids loved it.Sun so high it was hard to see at the shot gun start. Bit choppy. They did not like the run out.Beat them up good. Went back out to the bank.  Which is very long, and would require some time to get to know. Which of course people have done. Marshall putting the pressure on me. I do not want to lose dad. At which time I am hoping not to get skunked. First fish in, now just hoping to be able to weigh 5. Get 5, hoping to start upgrading. Did some, but not near enough. I believe 9th place. But they do a great job, and all kids get a second place trophy. Which is what Marshall was hoping for. Since his sister had one, and he did not. He did not care what it said for place on it. I believe there was around boats entered. The winner was also the charter who put the money up for the tournament.
 Captain's meeting. Go over the rules. Rules seem great and simple. Like the way they score. But wait. How many boats are entered? 33? Heck there was over 100 in Lanse. I thought this was a big tournament? End up being 27 on the score sheet.
 So now no tips, no plan, weather not on our side for the morning. But we had a spot we found on the charts we liked, 15 miles towards the north. In waves big enough to make it hard just to stay in the boat while trolling. And I believe Ray's term for the rain was biblical. Caught fish. Just nothing with any weight to them. No kings in the teens.
 Last day. Weather is to get worse. No idea where to run anyways. Frustrating waiting to go fishing an hour after prime time. Go straight out to the bank a little more south.  I can see the boats bunched up in two areas. I suspect that is where the fish are found most of the time. We chose to stay away from the bumper boats. Picked up our five, and started to upgrade. Got one at 20 lbs. But not enough. Certainly not enough to over come the day before.
 So Marshall got his trophy. We place high enough in the 333 to get a box of Yeck spoons and flashers. Not even sure what place that was. I believe 13th in the main event.
 Winner brought in something like 95 lbs in the second day. Almost a 20 lb average.
 Sat a fish big enough to tie the biggest of 2014 in the trail was caught. But was beat on Sunday, around 27 lbs I believe.
 I really like the rules and scoring. With enough categories to give everyone something to like. I did not even know about the biggest three. Weigh a laker, stealhead, and a salmon. It paid I believe, 333 dollars. And something we did have a shot at. But we did not enter the laker we caught, may not even entered any of the stealheads we caught.
 Any ways it is a fantastic place to go to. Prime time fishing is fantastic. Other times are too, once one learns the area enough to find the fish.
 And the crew I got to fish with was great too. Hope they enjoyed it as much as I did.

Tin Lizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 07:32:20 PM »

Great post Mike! 
Rod

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »

Thank you.

It does appear to be 30+ boats, I did not get the whole score sheet.
 There we are in 13th. Sunday was more encouraging, with only four better boxes

always gone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 10:00:10 PM »

Great posts. Thanks. We were going to try it last year, and this year, but never dedicated the time to doing so. If you have any advice on places to stay please share, campgrounds or hotels. Would be a family ordeal where the wives / younger kids needing entertainment while we are fishing.
Adam Petrelius
Pages: [1] 2