upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Morel's  (Read 5411 times)

TimberGhost621

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Morel's
« on: May 10, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »

Just wondering how everyone is doing on the morel's?
got a few dozen the on the 7th , and 58 more this morning, happy hunting          :dance:
Fast is fine but accuracy is final
 you must learn to be slow in a hurry

(Wyatt Earp)

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Re: Morel's
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:59:22 AM »

How far inland were you? My wife and I checked a couple of spots yesterday close to Superior. We only found five beefsteak mushrooms.

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:04:07 AM »

Got a buddy who's been getting them in mqt county..... Early spots are starting to produce.  Mostly small ones..another week or two and it will be looking good
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

TimberGhost621

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:44:35 AM »

I'm in the Deerton area , I haven't seen any beef steaks yet , I think it's a little early too. getting mainly smalls, the mediums are just starting around here, another week and the big boys should be popping.
good hunting 

(Wyatt Earp)

TimberGhost621

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 10:41:07 AM »

Only a few more this A.M  but a few better ones are starting to show up, shouldn't be long now.
Happy hunting

(Wyatt Earp)

jmohunts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »

looks good, bum knee has been keeping me from looking on foot much, but going on the wheeler today.
"SMOKE -N- FINN"
ALUMACRAFT CUSTOM TROPHY 18

chum bucket

• Brown Trout Derby 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 05:22:41 PM »

Looks tasty.  Going in the Cedar River Area this weekend see if I can find a few.  If I had to choose my last meal, it would be brook trout and morels.
If I keep up fishing like this, my wife is going to have an intervention for me.

TimberGhost621

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 06:09:10 PM »

a friend and I decided to go have a quick look at my morel spot this afternoon haven't looked in a few days, the last few days were cold and dreary and with the fresh layer of, Dare I say it?    S##W!  this morning . needless to say expectations weren't too high but I was really surprised 45 more and a few dandy's,  just over  a pound (fresh weight) I guess the cold and  s##w! doesn't have that much effect on them? any thought's on this? it really surprised me.
Happy Hunting
Gary

(Wyatt Earp)

WCScenario

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »

I havn't had fresh morels since I was a kid ! Jealous  ;D Look Tasty !!
Blayne
Currently Boat Less..
Home Port: Fairport Marina

KillitandGrillit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 09:05:22 PM »

I'm in the Deerton area , I haven't seen any beef steaks yet , I think it's a little early too. getting mainly smalls, the mediums are just starting around here, another week and the big boys should be popping.
good hunting

Don't eat beefsteaks. Ever. They contain a chemical that can make you very sick...some people can eat them for years without effect and then one day the toxin builds up to critical mass and they are in the hurt locker. Some people get sick the very first time....they are not edible and should not be messed with.
Damian Sleger

Yooperdad

• View Profile
    • Mike's Eyeflies
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 11:23:22 PM »

Don't eat beefsteaks. Ever. They contain a chemical that can make you very sick...some people can eat them for years without effect and then one day the toxin builds up to critical mass and they are in the hurt locker. Some people get sick the very first time....they are not edible and should not be messed with.

Damian, my daughter Kris stopped in Mountain, WI, yesterday with a friend and she sent me a text with a picture of a beefsteak asking what it was.  Said they were all over the ground around the camp.  Almost word for word, I sent her the same recommendation you have written here.  Good advice.
Mike Paluda
Marquette
aka "Yooperdad"
www.eyeflies.com

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 06:55:28 AM »

good hunting

[/quote

Beefsteak mushrooms are in the genus Gyromitra sp. Some beefsteak species are edible, like G. esculenta and G. gigas. There is at least one species that grows in this area that is poisonous-G. brunnea. There is no build-up of neurotoxins that triggers a reaction, more likely a case of missidentification...including a poisonous species in the harvest among the edibles. The all look very similar except for the spore prints

TimberGhost621

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 07:09:45 AM »

I don 't eat beefsteaks either. I have heard horror story's  about people who have eaten beefsteaks all there life and when the toxin level's reach a certain point they end up blind or worse, I don't recommend eating anything if your not sure what they are, I only eat Morels, also make sure your picking morel's and not false morels, that would be bad too!

(Wyatt Earp)

TimberGhost621

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 07:20:18 AM »

yesterday's pick, some more dandy's

(Wyatt Earp)

thunds2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 09:35:32 AM »

Been looking for 3 years without finding a morel.  Then we found this spot.  Got 360 this day.  675 between 2 of us, 200 the second time in, and 300 this weekend.  How does everyone cook/preserve their fungus out there?
Pages: [1] 2