upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Morel's  (Read 5422 times)

TimberGhost621

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Morel's
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »

Wow now that's what I call a great spot
congratulations  :beer:
Fast is fine but accuracy is final
 you must learn to be slow in a hurry

(Wyatt Earp)

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 08:05:30 AM »

Been looking for 3 years without finding a morel.  Then we found this spot.  Got 360 this day.  675 between 2 of us, 200 the second time in, and 300 this weekend.  How does everyone cook/preserve their fungus out there?

Don't freeze them-soggy musrooms when you taw and cook. We do a soak in salt water to drive the last of te bugs out, cut them in half down the long axis, and then place them on horizontal mounted window screens to dry. You can reconstitute them by soaking in water for about twenty minutes-dried morels hold their flavor quite well, particularly black morels.

Congratulations, we have only had four good years up here-my wife hates woodticks. But we used to average a couple of coolers full picking around Mullet Lake on State land when we would go down to see my in-laws for Mother's Day weekend.

KillitandGrillit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 07:49:59 PM »

Thunds, you basically have 2 options: freeze or dehydrate. How you do them depends on what you want to use them for. If your planning on adding them to stews, you'll want to dry them. If you plan on frying them, dust them with flour and freeze them on a sheet tray. Take them while frozen, put them in an egg wash and breading, fry until crispy. Either way you can't go wrong...I usually do about a 50/50 split.
Damian Sleger

KillitandGrillit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 07:53:25 PM »

I have found that what Rick says regarding the mushrooms turning soggy can be true...especially if you salt them. I don't salt them either way...a few bugs ain't gonna hurt me, can't tell you how many little bugs I've choked on in the past few weeks.
Damian Sleger

thunds2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 12:50:21 AM »

Haha! A little extra protein!  Thanks for the help. We have dehydrated a bunch and froze a few. 
Pages: 1 [2]