upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

If the Shootout gets cancelled due to ice, would you be interested in fishing the Spring Shootout on June 14th

Yes
- 27 (96.4%)
No
- 1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: June 04, 2014, 10:11:42 PM

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spring Shootout UPDATE  (Read 3105 times)

reidabis

• So thats hows its gonna be...
    • View Profile
    • U.P.P.F.C.
Spring Shootout UPDATE
« on: May 14, 2014, 12:16:38 PM »

One of the topics discussed at last night’s SSFA Board Meeting was in regards to the current state of ice conditions on Lake Superior near Marquette and the impact they may have on the annual Spring Shootout.

We came up with three likely scenarios/conclusions:

1. The weather changes and all ice bergs melt. It’s like winter was never here and we go about our Spring Shootout as planned.  We believe this to be very unlikely.

2. The marinas are packed with ice and so is the lake.  In this case we will cancel the Spring Shootout due to unsafe water conditions and presence of pack ice/ice bergs that prohibit us from accessing the lake.  This is definitely possible.  In the event that we do cancel the Spring Shootout we have considered not rescheduling it.  There are two other fishing tournaments already scheduled the following two weekends and we do not want to interfere with either of them.  Three weekends out may be too late for people.

3. The marinas are clear of ice but there are some scattered ice bergs around.  If this happens, we plan to have a MANDATORY delayed start until boaters are able to safely navigate in proper lighting conditions.   If we delay the start time, we will add the time to the end of the day.  This is likely the best case scenario.

The board will be meeting next Thursday (5/22/14) to make the decision. The decision will be made with safety in mind first and foremost. We will post that decision here as well as other social sites to inform as many as possible.

Regardless of the decision made, SSFA board members will still be down in the parking lot (Fish Assoc.) with our trailer to let people know what the final decision was in case they do not see it here on UP Angler.
Capt. Reid DeRosie
www.LakeSuperiorSportFishing.com
boat name:QuincyD

lerspame

• New Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Shootout UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:46:21 PM »

Understandable.  But why is 3 weekends out too late? You could call it the spring/summer shootout.   There could be ice in June.  Last year, June was one of the best months in the Marquette area. 

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:45:26 AM »

Thanks for the input Lee. We would definitely reconsider rescheduling it again. I posted a poll to judge interest in changing the date to June 14th.

highline

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 10:35:02 AM »

:thmb:
Dan Audette
boat name:Highline
Homeport:Marquette,MI
moonshine lures prostaff www.moonshinelures.com

A-Fishy-Anado

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 11:01:15 AM »

Looks to me that the date change would allow some of us that are running the munising tournament to get up and participate. We were planning on fishing it prior to our date change but presented issues due to a lot of our prep work going on memorial day weekend.

Also we really appreciate the consideration of our tournament in your make up planning. Thank you SSFA :thmb:
Bromley Hall
Munising MI

www.fishmunising.com

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 02:41:30 PM »

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/sicecon-00.gif

Ice cover has dropped significantly over the last four weeks, falling by more than half in roughly the last week...sadly, it is just almost all stacked-up around here.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 02:43:10 PM »

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/sicecon-00.gif

Ice cover has dropped significantly over the last four weeks, falling by more than half in roughly the last week...sadly, it is just almost all stacked-up around here.

The remote sensing estimated value is a little higher-15%.

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 06:35:14 PM »

Spring Shootout is postponed until Saturday, June 14, 2014. Decision to do so was based on multiple reasons, including remaining ice which may have blown out today but is certain to return later this week when the wind switches back to north, lack of boat ramps in lower harbor, word on the street that no one has their boat ready anyway, and poll support for a June 14 date change. See you in a month and good luck in the Munising and L'Anse/Baraga tournaments!

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 07:31:41 PM »

Because of the date change and earlier sunrise, we will be starting at 5:30 am Saturday. The change will be announced during sign up Friday night as well.

YooperTroll

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 09:09:08 PM »

Set lines at 5:30 or shotgun start?
Luck favors the prepared

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 10:19:08 PM »

Set lines at 5:30 or shotgun start?

Lines in at 530.

You cant set yours till noon.

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 08:37:37 AM »

You may leave the dock at any time you want to, but you can't set lines until 5:30 am, this is sportsman's tournament and all rules are on your honor.  If history is any indication Dave, you don't have to leave the dock until the crack of 8:30 to bring in a cooler full of hogs.  Registration is tonight from 5:30 to 8:30 in the parking lot between Thills and the Ore Dock.

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 09:15:59 AM »

If history is any indication Dave, you don't have to leave the dock until the crack of 8:30 to bring in a cooler full of hogs.

Don't give him that much time!   I thought noon was plenty fair.  ;D

YooperTroll

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 09:21:23 AM »

OK thank you for the reply. I could use a good nights sleep so maybe I'll leave my house at 8:30 then go for a sight seeing cruise for a few hours then set lines when the fish start biting which for me has been mid day. I've been training my fish for a few weeks now so if you would like I will bring them in alive and show you they tricks I've taught them. Tricks like only biting certain color spoons and playing dead.   ;D
Luck favors the prepared

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 03:22:56 PM »

I've heard it all now!! LoL
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll