upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Veterans Appreciation Fishing Day  (Read 4012 times)

Yooperdad

• View Profile
    • Mike's Eyeflies
    • Email
Veterans Appreciation Fishing Day
« on: July 23, 2014, 11:22:10 AM »

Only 6 weeks away!
Mike Paluda
Marquette
aka "Yooperdad"
www.eyeflies.com

MikeM

• View Profile
Re: Veterans Appreciation Fishing Day
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:49:43 PM »

Is that something you can put into a PDF, or something else that I can print?

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 02:48:24 PM »

PDF is now available Mike.

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 02:50:52 PM »

Thank you. Going on front door now.

Yooperdad

• View Profile
    • Mike's Eyeflies
    • Email
Veterans Appreciation Fishing Day
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 03:10:42 PM »

Mylan just dropped off the SSFA mail with 13 more applications from veterans who would like to participate in the Veterans Fishing Day.  That brings the total to 31 now.  Many have disabilities of one kind or another, but only 2 wheel chair users so far.

Looks like the oldest was born in 1927, God bless him.
Mike Paluda
Marquette
aka "Yooperdad"
www.eyeflies.com

Yooperdad

• View Profile
    • Mike's Eyeflies
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 11:42:19 PM »

I got another batch of apps this afternoon and just got through them all and summarized some numbers for you.  As mentioned previously I separated them into 3 categories, for ease of handling.  We have exceeded our goal of 60 veterans.  Good work everybody!

Priority 1 – include all who are disabled, use wheelchairs, were awarded a Purple Heart, or was a POW
Priority 2 – none of the above but served honorably and were born in the 40’s or before
Priority 3 – like Priority 2 but born in the 50’s or later

23 vets           Priority #1     2 wheelchair users  4 care givers required         67 dinner tickets

19 vets            Priority #2                                                                                        33 dinner tickets

23 vets           Priority #3                                                                                        57 dinner tickets

I have started trying to call each vet to get their shirt size and to find a few details about their service.  The few calls made so far have not been very successful.  I’ll spend considerable time next week trying to make those contacts.

Boat pairings also need to start now.  Since I was walking down the vets per boat as more boat Captains committed, I can add the additional 5 in to a boat if everyone is OK with that.  We have 32 boats committed, so won’t be an issue unless someone backs out.  But no more applications can be accepted from this point.  I’ll assemble a list of the Veterans for information and for Jamie to use of the back of the program.  Jaime, please let me know what other information you need.

The next issue is to notify the veterans and the boat Captains of the pairings, and this presents a problem for me.  Some of the Captains routinely visit UPA and a general announcement can be done there.  However some do not visit UPA and many commitments  came through members of this committee.  I got the boat info from you but not contact info for most of the boats.  Here’s the list of boats.  I need members of this committee to let me know which of these Captains you will make contact with to confirm their participation and also notify them of the Captains meeting scheduled for September 4th, 7:00 PM, at the Jacobetti Recreation Room. (Jessica to confirm Jacobetti availability)  If everyone will take several and let me know it would sure help.  I highlighted a few that I know and will take care of that aren’t members of this committee.

Kathy is doing a great job with volunteers and donations.  Thanks Kathy.

Ray and Mylan were to talk this evening about the tents and commitments.  Thanks guys.

John says the Fire Department, Police Department, and Sheriff will attend the parade.  Thanks John.

This is going to be outstanding event!

Mike
Mike Paluda
Marquette
aka "Yooperdad"
www.eyeflies.com

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 07:52:09 AM »

Awesome job on the TV6 news this morning Mylan!  Been looking forward to this all year.  :usa:

Bad Habit

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 05:31:55 PM »

Wow...is all I can say.  That was the coolest thing I've ever been part of.  Fishing could have been better but fun was had by all.  It was a pleasure to be in the presence of these men. :usa: 
Nathaniel Kudwa
Boat Name: "Bad Habit"
Crystal Falls, MI
www.eyeflies.com
www.finnspoons.com

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 05:40:54 PM »

What a great day! I'm very proud to be part of SSFA! Thank you to everyone who participated in the event. Thank you Vets Committee Members for the months of hard work you put in planning the event; thank you Volunteers for helping make the day a success; thank you Captains and Mates for being great hosts and ambassadors of SSFA; thank you to our many great sponsors who enable us to do these great events; and thank you Vets for serving our great country so that we may enjoy the freedoms we have, including the freedom to enjoy our favorite sport, fishing. The wheels are already turning for next year's event and we hope to make it as great an event as we enjoyed today!

Mylan Koski

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 06:08:44 PM »

That was indeed one of the coolest things I have been a part of and definitely the highlight of my dad and I's summer.  Kudos to everyone that help put it on and THANK YOU to all the veterans out there!!!  :usa:

Shelly

TopSecret

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 06:36:38 PM »

Would like to say Thanks to SSFA for putting on such a wonderful event, so proud to be part of it. I have already heard that our Veterans can't wait for next year. Neither can we.

Toolman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 07:20:01 PM »

What a great day!  What an honor to fish with one man who served in WWII in the Pacific and another who served in Korea!  I can't wait til next year, and Leo and Milt said the same :thmb:

Ray Uimari
Take Three
Marquette, MI

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »

Mike and his daughter Shelly  :usa:

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:57:42 AM »

Very Cool indeed! The weather could have been a little better, but we got out on the lake and made the best of it! The boat parade was certainly the highlight for me.
The Searcher one of the most decorated boats in the parade. Nice job Burt!

Andy Allan
Boat Name: Hydro Hooker

qbfishon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 03:20:25 PM »

We had a great time out there also. We didn't catch and fish but we had donuts and Jo. We had an all Army boat so we could rip on the navy and marines. Thanks again to my First Mate Jim Wallis for helping out. The Pig Roast was great also. I got to talk in person with guys I met on UPAngler. Ill defiantly drive up again next year. Hoorah :usa: :usa:
Quinn Barrios
Grady White 208 Adventurer "Q-Boat"
MY HEROES DONT WEAR CAPES, THEY WEAR DOGTAGS