upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Veteran's Fishing Day Boat Parade  (Read 783 times)

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
Veteran's Fishing Day Boat Parade
« on: August 30, 2014, 08:02:35 AM »

Most of you know by now that as part of SSFA's Veterans Fishing Day we plan to have a Boat Parade through the Lower Harbor at the completion of fishing.  I would like to encourage anyone who is not already involved in the event to come down to Mattson Park on Sunday, September 7th at approximately 12 pm (noon) to be a part of the Boat Parade and show your gratitude for what these Vets have done for us all.  At the completion of fishing for the day, the boats will gather inside the Lower Harbor break wall at noon. Shortly thereafter the boats will line up and be led by the US Coast Guard along the wall in Mattson Park.

In preparing for this event, we requested that Vets tell us a little about themselves and their military service.  Many of the letters we received were prepared by Vets loved ones or care givers.  One of the stories caught my eye and I'm anxious to meet this man and shake his hand and thank him for the service he performed for our country.  I thought I would share a bit of his story here with everyone else.

Mr. Mahlon Nichols was born in 1927, which makes him a man of 87 years young today.  Mr. Nichols joined the US Navy when he was 17 years old.  He was assigned to the battleship U.S.S. Idaho as part of a 5-inch Artillery Gun Crew.  He and his ship took part in the Battle of Okinawa and he was there in Tokyo Harbor to witness the surrender of the Japanese Empire. At the completion of his service he was a volunteer in the Sea Cadet program in Lansing, Michigan. 

Mr. Nichols is one of 68 Veterans that will be our guests of honor during this event.  Many of our boat captains, first mates, and event volunteers are Veterans themselves and every one of them deserve our gratitude and appreciation for their service to our country.  So bring your wife, bring your kids, bring the whole family, your flags, smiles and come wave to the Vets as they pass by the wall in Mattson Park on Sunday, September 7th at noon.

Hope to see you there!

Mylan Koski
SSFA President     

Yooperdad

• View Profile
    • Mike's Eyeflies
    • Email
Re: Veteran's Fishing Day Boat Parade
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 01:04:41 PM »

Very nicely done Mylan.  There's no question that our veterans, me included, appreciate your efforts and your dedication to making this event a huge success.

Mike
Mike Paluda
Marquette
aka "Yooperdad"
www.eyeflies.com