upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Would you fish a womens/kids day on the Friday before?

I would
- 3 (100%)
I would not
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: January 19, 2015, 01:14:40 PM

Author Topic: Speaking of the fall SSFA tourney  (Read 2512 times)

MikeM

• View Profile
Speaking of the fall SSFA tourney
« on: January 12, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »

When I fished Sturgeon Bay last year. On the Friday before the tourney they had a women's/kids tourney. It was very basic. http://www.tournamenttrail.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/sturgeon-bay-ladies-kids.pdf
 Basically weigh your 5 best fish. One first place trophy, all other kids got a second place trophy.
 I am willing,(Crossroads Truck Repair) to put up $1000. Provided there is enough interest. And there are people willing to help out the SSFA, and the SSFA is willing to except the job. I would like to see someone step up with trophies for the kids. Rules a little more clear than theirs, as far as who can touch rods and net fish. I do not care how the rules are, as long as they are clear.
 My wife and kids loved it. But I know most have to work. So I am concerned Friday would be a deal breaker for too many.
 Thank you fishing gods for the second place trophies. All morning Marshall kept telling me how bad he wanted one. And we were not doing all that good.
 So I am willing to put some cash in, as long as the rest of the criteria is met. I will throw it out there and see if you all run with it.

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Speaking of the fall SSFA tourney
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:55:45 AM »

That's a great idea Mike!  I think we just found our first new committee member! See you on the 21st!

LottaSplainin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:34:40 PM »

Mike you are the MAN!  We had a Commitee member (female)last year that joined late that has stated several times that she is interested in putting this together. 
Ross Anthony
2052 WA Trophy Pro
Lotta' 'Splainin
Marquette Lower Harbor

indifisher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 07:50:23 PM »

I think this is a great idea, and Mike, Thank you for your generosity and support. I would certainly do anything I could to make this happen and would love to see some others step up as well. I know there will be a lot of interest. My thoughts were to attempt to have it Friday afternoon and do the awards at the captains meeting. Would be a great way to get some recognition to those who participate in it. I really hope to see some interest, and will do anything I can to make it happen. Ive got a good idea Superior Sun and Sniper would participate, and I think the Sea Angel would be able to assemble a crew as well.
Aaron Chamberlain

No matter how beautiful a woman is, someone, somewhere is sick of her sh*t

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »

The awards at the captains meeting is a great idea. I just have to wonder though. How many would use this as prefishing for the main event on Saturday. In which case they would prefer a morning start time. It would be something to talk about.
 If this flies, there will be much to talk about. Do you go with just your five best fish, or separate trout from salmon, extra points for salmon like the league? Wisc just paid for first place. Or do you pay first through third? Wisc was free entry, winner takes all. Wisc was clear on men could set lines, women/kids had to reel in the fish. They were unclear who could net. We had the women/kids net. First place team had the men running the net. Was not a factor for us that day. But may have been had we caught a really large fish. I had visions of going to town for a new net before the tournament on Saturday.
 All I want, is for it to be fun, especially the kids. And I believe the trophies are a big thing for the kids. The rules can be decided on by the rest of you.

indifisher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 08:49:29 PM »

There were a few ideas thrown around,,,Morning or afternoon wouldn't matter a bit to shore crew I wouldn't think, more the folks who would need time off from work. We/I am open to whatever works for participants and will use vacation time to make sure it happens. This is why we need input from the members of SSFA and those who want to see events like this happen to participate in some way, even if its only through these forums. I sincerely hope others chime in on this and express their desire to participate and what works for them. My thoughts would be to still recognize participants at the captains meeting regardless of when the event is...
Aaron Chamberlain

No matter how beautiful a woman is, someone, somewhere is sick of her sh*t

Scale Chaser

• View Profile
    • Finn Tackle Company
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 12:23:14 PM »

Sounds like a fantastic idea, Mike!  We touched on it at our 1st meeting the other night.  I personally like the Friday morning idea just like they do in the Tournament Trail events.  I think that TT plan came originally from the mentality that "we're pre-fishing anyway, we should bring the wife and kids along and make an event out of it".  It has caught on at most Tournament Trail event locations now!  Keeping it simple is certainly the key, 3 fish or 5 fish total weight, etc.  Hope to see you at the next meeting so we can discuss in more detail!  You can absolutley count on us (Finn Tackle) for some prizes/donations, too! 
My crew will be in for sureā€¦  :thmb:
Capt. Brad Muscoe
Marquette, MI
Boat Name: Ella Bella
www.finnspoons.com
Please "Like" us at
http://www.facebook.com/FinnTackleCompany

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 02:16:25 PM »

I think it is a good idea as well. However, I think you would have a lot more participation with a later start time. Most kids get bored fast and also don't want to be up at the butt crack of dawn. possibly fish from 9-12 or 9-1? Maybe have everyone meet for coffee, juice and donuts first at 8am. Unfortunately the work thing will be a issue for a lot of people on a Friday.

LottaSplainin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 07:17:34 PM »

Meeting is this Wednesday night 6pm at Elks in Marquette.  Come help make this one of the Yoops best tournaments.  See you there.
Ross Anthony
2052 WA Trophy Pro
Lotta' 'Splainin
Marquette Lower Harbor