upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beware Fastenal  (Read 1628 times)

youp50

• View Profile
Beware Fastenal
« on: January 27, 2015, 03:36:53 PM »

I needed a bottoming metric tap and found Fastenal in Marquette had one.  On the counter are aresol cans of Kano Kroil IMO the best penetrating oil there is.  Twenty bucks for a large can.  I am at the end of a small can that lasted over ten years.  As I left there is a seven dollar and change charge for shipping and handling.  Excuse me?  Its on the shelf, right?  "We don't normally stock this and 'Corporate' won't let us back the charge off."

I have a better idea, just refund me the money and I won't darken your door step again. 
Yea, we caught a couple little ones.

no guarantees

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Beware Fastenal
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 09:31:23 PM »

I shop there all the time and never had a problem. They do most of there sales to contractors so the guy off the street may not get the best price but they had it and it's good quality . Talk to the manager and I'm sure they can do something
Andy Buckmaster
No Guarantees
Mqt,MI

GunDog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 10:20:27 PM »

Andy is right. Companies like Fastenal, Total Tool, Motion Ind. etc supply to the mines and contractors for most of their business. They rely very little on over the counter sales. I worked for a company similar to them in lower Michigan and our over the counter sales represented less than 1% of our over all sales. The shipping fee is definately something that we did not do.

youp50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 07:21:33 AM »

I did talk to the manager, he did nothing, and I did return the item.

From an industrial point of view (The initial bolt order for the Humboldt mill exceeded 6500 pounds.  That is correct almost 4 tons of bolts in the piping systems.) Fastenal is losing market share because of poor customer service and the inability to deliver as promised.

From the walk in customer point of view; BEWARE, they may charge you a shipping and handling fee that exceeds one third the price of an item that is on the shelf when you walk in.
Yea, we caught a couple little ones.