upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any reports from lbdn opener?  (Read 1180 times)

Fish-ti-cuffs

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • UPangler
    • Email
Any reports from lbdn opener?
« on: May 15, 2015, 08:41:39 PM »

Saw a bunch of boats out, not great weather.
Did anyone get out?
Brett
Brett Lewis
FishTiCuffs
><))))°>

"It's on like Bing Bong, Jack" --Uncle Si

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any reports from lbdn opener?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 11:51:41 PM »

Overall, the reports today were mostly positive. Fish were caught the whole length of the bay from Ford River, to the upper end of LBDN.

Sounded like the best bet off of Ford River was trolling crankbaits after dark. No daytime reports from there today. I'd imagine it was slower with the light winds we had today.

Heard of some fish being caught near the Escanaba light house, and I saw several boats trolling there when I drove by late in the afternoon.

Diane had one report from a fisherman that trolled crankbaits around the mouth of the Escanaba River early in the morning that got skunked. My dad, however, got a nice limit of 15 to 23 inch fish trolling floating Rapalas in the river.

Several good reports from the upper end of the bay near the reefs. Trolling cranks at night, and drifting or trolling with live bait during the day. We sold lots of crawler harnesses and floating jigs to people fishing up there, with no particular hot color. Bright colors and glow patterns in general were best, (makes sense with the dark water in the upper bay.) Crawlers were far and away the best selling live bait.

I did my usual opening day routine of fishing for smallmouth on the Escanaba River. Ended up landing 8 bass and 3 pike on bright colored Senko type plastics, rigged Texas style with no weight or wacky rigged. Landed three 20 inch fish. Smallmouth that size always fight good, but I swear, the smallies in the Escanaba River seem to fight ever harder than most!

Took a few pictures of some of the bigger fish. Must have splashed some water on the sensor, making for a couple blurry shots, but you get the idea of the class of fish that are in there.
CHRIS WAHL - BAY VIEW BAIT and TACKLE

Little Bay de Noc fish-a-holic

"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it."