upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any nets in Detour?  (Read 2405 times)

Live2Fish

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any nets in Detour?
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:09:36 AM »

Heading over to fish this weekend and just checking to see if there are any nets to be aware of.  Thanks.

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any nets in Detour?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:49:39 AM »

They move them around lots so you never know where they will show up. Most of the time they are a whitefish gill net and they hug the bottom. If you are hugging the bottom then you might be in trouble. If you see several markers it might be a trap net then you might want to bring things up fast.

Live2Fish

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 10:59:29 AM »

Ya I know the buoys and markers just wondering if there were any around the lighthouse or channel closer to detour and Drummond.

Waterchicken

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 12:38:32 PM »

The nets are moved daily. One day they will be on the east side of the channel the next day there on the west side.
Kevin Liebel
ESCANABA

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 12:49:13 PM »

Just an unfortunate chance you take when you put your boat into the water. Sometimes it is best to wait until after daylight so you can get a look at things first.

Live2Fish

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 01:08:58 PM »

I realize it's best to wait till after it brightens up.  All I was wondering if there was anyone out that was able to tell me where the nets were closer to the day we went fishing.  Since I hadn't been over there yet.  I have no problem with commercial nets being out there.  Trying to take some of the risk out of it is all.

shag

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »

I realize it's best to wait till after it brightens up.  All I was wondering if there was anyone out that was able to tell me where the nets were closer to the day we went fishing.  Since I hadn't been over there yet.  I have no problem with commercial nets being out there.  Trying to take some of the risk out of it is all.

on saturday there was one running E-W south of the lighthouse on the bank. also one on the east side of the channel running e-w south of the last red buoy.
Tim Hank

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 01:51:22 PM »

This is why I personally think that ALL net coordinates should have to be posted publically!!!
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »

I'd be in favor of netting zones and net free zones for sport fishing.  Both could then exist with minimum conflict.  Fish in the netting zone at your own risk and feel secure in net free areas.  Documenting net locations would be a task if they're moved regularly.  Unfortunately, sport fishermen are low on the lake usage totem pole so I wouldn't expect any favors from either commercial or tribal fishers.
Jim Schantz
Slip 26
Manistee Municipal Marina

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 09:13:55 AM »

I agree with you Jim but that would be next to impossible. The commercial guys want fish just as bad as the sport fishermen so they change locations just like the sport fishermen do. If that could be worked out the subsistence fishermen would be exempt as they are not commercial fishermen.

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 07:30:31 AM »

I agree with you Jim but that would be next to impossible. The commercial guys want fish just as bad as the sport fishermen so they change locations just like the sport fishermen do. If that could be worked out the subsistence fishermen would be exempt as they are not commercial fishermen.

Yes...I'd expect nothing more than the status quo.  After so many years, it is what it is.
Jim Schantz
Slip 26
Manistee Municipal Marina