upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best downrigger release?  (Read 4330 times)

larboc

• View Profile
Best downrigger release?
« on: July 06, 2015, 06:15:00 AM »

I have 4 of these scotty releases and I am not that happy with them, any suggestions on a better option?
http://store.cannondownriggers.com/products/325094/Uni-Line_Release

These seem to be a little inconsistent. Very sensitive to line placement and if the line starts to slip in the rubber it makes a little groove and won't release. I replaced the rubber disks with some pieces of thick inner tube and it seemed to work better than the original replacement discs I tried.

I've never tried rubber bands but I'm wondering if it would be more repeatable?
11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
16' Invader tri-hull "Spirit of Dan Seavey"
22' Cruisers Mackinac, "The Green Machine"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI

big finn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best downrigger release?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 06:59:49 AM »

We use the blacks and bands releases with good results,had the same problems with the pinch pad style.

fishmunkee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 08:54:19 AM »

I've been very pleased with Chamberlains the last couple years.
http://www.downriggerrelease.com/
Tim Hauser
Home - Lake Wisconsin
Lake Michigan - Milwaukee
Lake Superior - Ontonagon

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:18:52 AM »

We sell more of the Scotty Power Grip releases than all others put together. Mostly the #1171 model. http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/line-releases/powergrip-plus.htm
CHRIS WAHL - BAY VIEW BAIT and TACKLE

Little Bay de Noc fish-a-holic

"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it."

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:36:34 PM »

Scotty
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

Scale Chaser

• View Profile
    • Finn Tackle Company
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 09:58:31 PM »

We sell more of the Scotty Power Grip releases than all others put together. Mostly the #1171 model. http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/line-releases/powergrip-plus.htm

I've used these releases for 10+ years with zero issues.  I use them exactly the same way the link that Chris attached shows, the line right at the small black line in the release.  Make sure the "tension adjuster" is pulled out or they will give you some headaches.  It's the best release I've found/used in many, many years of fishing the Great Lakes.
Capt. Brad Muscoe
Marquette, MI
Boat Name: Ella Bella
www.finnspoons.com
Please "Like" us at
http://www.facebook.com/FinnTackleCompany

day dreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 11:51:35 PM »

We use these walker releases and I love them they are quick and easy and there is no guess if you got the line far enough in but I also like using the Scotties though cant go wrong with either.
http://www.amazon.com/Walker-Downriggers-Adjustable-Line-Release/dp/B00CF55PLW
Kyle Barr
Day Dreamer
24' Striper
Big Weenie

jmohunts

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 06:53:36 AM »

Chamberlain by far best release I have used.  Have used the Scottys, bands, ect.  Want no more false releases, slipping of line, or shakers dragging around buy these.
"SMOKE -N- FINN"
ALUMACRAFT CUSTOM TROPHY 18

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 08:53:36 AM »

I am not going to say they are the best. It is really a preference thing. But I use chamberlain as well. I have used scottys, and they do work excellent as well. Chamberlains allow me to adjust both sides. I like to crank the rod tip down to the water. I can do that and still adjust the lure side light for shakers if I desire. Or I can tighten the lure side to set the hook harder and still be able to release with the rod easily for a lure change.

If you run a probe. You will find your probe will work better with the release above it. This helps take some of the bow out of the downrigger line at the probe, allowing the probe to run more horizontal, flatter.

I cut the wire off the Chamberlains, and thread the downrigger line through the release. I use Scotty beads to hold the release where I want it. I put the top bead a foot higher. This way I can keep the weight in the water, pull up the release to hook up the line. The weight is not swinging around, bouncing off my boat. Even with this set up, the lure seems to find the bottom before the weight.

That is just the set up I prefer. I have used Scottys, and I would have no issues fishing with them. I even keep some on the boat.

Daybreak

• View Profile
    • Daybreak Charters
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »

I've used these releases for 10+ years with zero issues.  I use them exactly the same way the link that Chris attached shows, the line right at the small black line in the release.  Make sure the "tension adjuster" is pulled out or they will give you some headaches.  It's the best release I've found/used in many, many years of fishing the Great Lakes.

Same here.  I've used them all.  For me, nothing comes close to the reliability, consistency, and ease of use like the Scotty.  I never drag shakers, never have the line cut into it, and never have false releases.  If you do, its user error, not the release.  :thmb:
Captain John Tomczyk
Daybreak Charters   www.daybreakfish.com
Marquette, MI
Boat Name:"RELENTLESS"

larboc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 08:47:12 AM »

I bought some of these because they were the cheapest in the store and used them on sunday. I'm doing something wrong I guess. These are the worst that I've used yet, we drown several fish due to non-releasing. We tried putting the line right on the black mark. Twisted and not twisted. They just didn't want to release. With the line at the tip they would release on the way down. I'm sure we missed a lot of fish due to non-releases. I'm doing something wrong, how are you guys setting them up?
11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI

jmohunts

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 09:23:45 AM »

I had the same results, tried every way possible, locked, unlocked, every part of pinch pad.  Either release on way down or won't release without physically pinching it.  Switched to Chamberlain and my nightmares went away. ....... tried a scotty stacker last time out twice, put 20# Mono right thru line; both false released, never again.  Waste more time going up and down than fishing.
"SMOKE -N- FINN"

larboc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 10:05:28 AM »

I had the same results, tried every way possible, locked, unlocked, every part of pinch pad.  Either release on way down or won't release without physically pinching it.  Switched to Chamberlain and my nightmares went away. ....... tried a scotty stacker last time out twice, put 20# Mono right thru line; both false released, never again.  Waste more time going up and down than fishing.

Okay, well I'm not alone then. We drug around 12"-24" fish with them, after finally deciding that the rod just didn't look right we'd pull it up to check and sure enough there was a fish. Makes it hard to know where you picked them up too.

Fishable weekends are so scarce for me that I don't want to spend any more time farting around with inconsistent equipment.

I just bought a chamberlain to try. Seems a little crazy spending $21 for a release but the design makes sense. I also bought a pair of the seasense releases off of ebay. We'll see how those do. Nothings going to make it here for the weekend though.  cry()

The concept of pinching the line doesn't really make sense for downriggers if you think about it. You want a pound or two of tension on the spoon to release it, but you want to keep 5+ lbs of tension on the pole. Pinching the line is going to be the same release tension up or back.

Unless I'm doing it wrong?
11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI

jmohunts

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 10:46:25 AM »

The Chamberlains work great, just always make sure line is in correct spot and not wrapped ( obviously) .  Crank down on down release and set out release as desired for fish you are after,  Draggers and false releases are a thing of the past.
"SMOKE -N- FINN"

larboc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »

The Chamberlains work great, just always make sure line is in correct spot and not wrapped ( obviously) .  Crank down on down release and set out release as desired for fish you are after,  Draggers and false releases are a thing of the past.

All arrived and I must say the chamberlains are slick and I'm looking forward to trying it out. The manual says to twist the line 5 times before setting it. Do you use a planer board release with yours?

The seasense ones also arrived and should also work better than any of the pinch styles for a lot cheaper.

11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI
Pages: [1] 2