upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SSFA Marquette Bay Classic Fishing Tournament  (Read 4945 times)

LottaSplainin

• View Profile
    • Email
SSFA Marquette Bay Classic Fishing Tournament
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:11:28 PM »

The Fall Tournament Committee met tonight and things are shaping up for another great tournament. 

New this year is the addition of a Women and Children's Fishing tournament on the Friday morning prior to the main event.  First place prize has been sponsored by Crossroads Truck Repair in the amount of $1,000 and will be determined by the heaviest 3 fish combined weight.  No extra entry fee is required other than your entry to the main tournament on Saturday. 

We hope to encourage fisherman to bring family and friends to Marquette to enjoy the Harbor Fest activities while getting out on the water. 

Anyone can captain the boat, but women and children must reel in the fish.  Children are considered those 16 years old and under.  All kids will receive a prize and women will receive a t-shirt for participating. 

No registration will be required the morning of the Friday tournament if you are preregistered.  Otherwise, registration will be at the Lower Harbor fish cleaning station from 7-10am on Friday, August 28th.  Fishing will be from 8am-3pm with an on your honor start.  The registration brochure will be posted soon.

Ross Anthony
2052 WA Trophy Pro
Lotta' 'Splainin
Marquette Lower Harbor

LottaSplainin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SSFA Marquette Bay Classic Fishing Tournament
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:47:37 PM »

More information about Harbor Fest from last year.  This year will be similar with a better line up and more activities!
Ross Anthony
2052 WA Trophy Pro
Lotta' 'Splainin
Marquette Lower Harbor

LottaSplainin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »

We're just under a month away until the tournament.  Both the poster and the registration form are finalized.  Both are posted below and those on the SSFA mailing list should be receiving a registration form in the mail soon. 
Ross Anthony
2052 WA Trophy Pro
Lotta' 'Splainin
Marquette Lower Harbor

LottaSplainin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 10:46:51 PM »

Due to our community's generous support of everything SSFA does, this year's tournament is shaping up to be one of the biggest yet.  A special thanks goes out to Mike Myers for his vision and financial support of the new Women and Children's event on Friday.  This week we were able to solidify two more sponsors (to be named soon) for the event and increase the total purse for the Friday tournament to $1,750! Each participating woman in the Women and Children's Tournament will receive a commemorative t-shirt and each child will receive a trophy. 

In addition, Ryan Erickson aka SNIPER has thrown in $100 for the first legal, live, recordable fish brought into the live release at the Main Event on Saturday. 

This brings the total cash and prizes for the two day tournament to over $15,000.

Registration for the event will be at the Lower Harbor boat launch from 7-10am on Friday, August 28th.  Beat the rush now and preregister for both events by mail.  You must be registered by 10am on Friday to be eligible for cash prizes for Friday's event and fishing is from 8am-3pm on Friday. 

If you don't plan on fishing on Friday, you can register for The Main Event at the Team Meeting at The Elks Lodge in Marquette on Friday at 6pm.  Details and rules will be reviewed for the Saturday event at the meeting on Friday night.  $125 gets your boat registered for both days!   
Ross Anthony
2052 WA Trophy Pro
Lotta' 'Splainin
Marquette Lower Harbor

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 02:21:30 PM »

The tournament is Shaping up to be better than ever! We've got over 1k in fishing gear raffle prizes! A Scotty downrigger and numerous other item to raffle. All crew member are encouraged to attend the captains meeting Friday August 28th at the Elk starting at 6pm. Free beer till its gone and free soft drinks all night. Hope to see you there  :thmb:
Andy Allan
Boat Name: Hydro Hooker

GOV III

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »

Bring your crew and your wallet as we got some great prizes this year at the Captain's meeting on 8/28/15 at the Elks.....Again we will have some "BLITZ" raffles and also we will be doing some "SILENT" auction items...We will have 8 bucket raffles with prizes such as 2 Shimano Tekota 600 LC reels, Okuma CV 45 Wire Reel/rod set up, coolers, nets, planer boards, tons of spoons and misc equipment...Also we have a great piece from the one and only Dan Cook, a gift certificate from Dan Everson Mounts, 41 Lumber and a $500 gift certificate from Mathews Floor Fashions..Also we have a Luminox High End Diver's Watch from Jandron's Fine Jewelry, Scotty Electric Downrigger (1116), 4 man Golf package/one night stay at Bay Mills Resort in Brimley, "High End" Lights from J.W. Speaker $1000 value and some Marble Arm Knifes....We will have hotdogs, chips and of course free beer till it runs out and free pop... :beer: :thmb: :usa:   Hope to see you there! 
FREDDY GOVERN
"GOV III"
MARQUETTE, MI

LottaSplainin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 02:58:56 PM »

Tournament week is here.  Final preparations are being made for both tournaments. 

The Women and Children's Tournament will be Friday morning with Lines in no earlier than 8:00am and lines pulled no later than 3:00pm.  On your Honor.  Please keep it clean.  This event focuses on the women and children.  Teach them the right way.  No one wins when you cheat.  Weigh in will start immediately at 4:00pm with kids prizes and photos to follow.   Please plan on sticking around for a group photo. Cash prizes will be awarded with the prizes for the main tournament on the Harbor Fest main stage on Saturday.  Anyone can net fish and set lines, but when the rod goes off it's all on the women and children.  Please use discretion when a line fires.  Obviously an 8 year old isn't going to be able to pull a dipsey out of the rod holder. 

Registration will be at the Lower Harbor boat launch from 7am to 10am and weigh in will be held at the SSFA tent at Lower Harbor that will be set up along the wall.  If you have already registered, there is no need to stop at the registration table. 

Winner will be determined by the combined weight of 3 heaviest fish brought in.  We will only be weighing 3 fish per boat so it's on you to know what fish you want weighed prior to the weigh in.  Once it hits the scale, it's being used. 

Tournament radio will be set at channel 68.  Please tune to 68 throughout the day for updates or instructions.

Further rules and general regulations are stated in the registration brochure.  If you have questions please message us on here or contact Ross Anthony at 906-250-0641.  Good luck and see you on Friday!
Ross Anthony
2052 WA Trophy Pro
Lotta' 'Splainin
Marquette Lower Harbor

GOV III

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 06:58:50 PM »

Women and children do not have to set the lines..The Captain can set lines and pull a rod out of the rod holder if need be (especially a dipsy rod) or to break the line off the release and hand off to either the Woman or Kid to reel in...anybody on the boat can net the fish also... :thmb:
FREDDY GOVERN
"GOV III"
MARQUETTE, MI

LottaSplainin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »

Women and children must real in the fish for it to count towards your total weight.  The discretion I was referring to was to help get a rod out of the holder.  If a mag diver on 1 out 150 ft goes off, I'm not going to expect a women or child to be able to get that out of the rod holder.  Once it's out though, it needs to be handed off.  The discretion comes in because a 14-16 year old and some women may be able to pull it.  I don't want to limit the way you fish with these rules, but there has to be a line somewhere.  This one just happens to be a little gray.  That's where common sense kicks in.
Ross Anthony
2052 WA Trophy Pro
Lotta' 'Splainin
Marquette Lower Harbor

highline

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 07:09:37 PM »

got it! :thmb:

JR
Dan Audette
boat name:Highline
Homeport:Marquette,MI
moonshine lures prostaff www.moonshinelures.com

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 07:18:22 PM »

I've gotten a few inquiries (all good questions looking for clarification of the rules) from people about the women's and children's event since Ross put his post up and this isn't directed at your post Dan. I think Ross' post speaks very well to the purpose, spirit, and intent of what Mike envisioned when he promoted the women's and children's event, as well as what the other sponsors are supporting here -- as Ross pointed out, use your discretion when it comes to deciding how much help is needed when a rod gets hit. As experienced fishermen and sportsmen it should be easy for all of us to know who caught the fish. Show your wives and kids what it means to be a sportsman, not that other guy. If your wife or kid tries but can't get the rod out of the holder then help them for the brief moment it takes to do so. If they can't catch the fish on their own and you have to reel the fish in, then do so, but like a sportsman simply disqualify the fish. Don't be that guy, don't ruin this event for what it's intended to be. If you can't do it, don't participate.

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 07:33:05 PM »

Women and children must real in the fish for it to count towards your total weight.  The discretion I was referring to was to help get a rod out of the holder.  If a mag diver on 1 out 150 ft goes off, I'm not going to expect a women or child to be able to get that out of the rod holder.  Once it's out though, it needs to be handed off.  The discretion comes in because a 14-16 year old and some women may be able to pull it.  I don't want to limit the way you fish with these rules, but there has to be a line somewhere.  This one just happens to be a little gray.  That's where common sense kicks in.

Thanks for the clarification but that is a different than what you posted previously.  The discretion, common sense and gray areas need  to be eliminated as it leads to a lot of headaches and finger pointing. The rules need to be black and white with money on the line and especially with such a wide range of ages of people involved and the different tactics involved in catching fish such as pump rods etc... Not trying to ruffle feathers but this needs to be fun and not turn into a pissing match with someone claiming they saw someone set the hook or grabbing the rod out or the holder when they "think" or in their "opinion" someone on the boat was capable.

Anyway, We are looking forward to Friday, Thanks for everything you guys do.  :thmb:

LottaSplainin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 07:41:58 PM »

Thanks for looking out.  I worded it wrong. I knew what I wanted to say, but said it wrong.  Glad you're fishing Friday.   :thmb:
Ross Anthony
2052 WA Trophy Pro
Lotta' 'Splainin
Marquette Lower Harbor

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 09:17:14 PM »

What I am about to express is opinion. I did not, do not make the rules.

This should not be this hard. It is suppose to be simple and fun for the kids. If the kid needs help, provide help as needed. Don't make it an experience the kid remembers as bad. Marshall can not hold the rod and reel in a fish. The rod will either have to go into a rod holder, or one of the women will have to hold the rod, while he turns the crank handle. Bigger kids should work with younger kids, women should help the youngsters. If you have neither, well, I guess you will have to be a little more hands on.
 Dan, if your 12 year old needs one of your hands to help hold the rod up, and in your boat, i would hope others understand that. Your 12 year old works with your 7 year old, if they need more help from dad, so be it. This is suppose to teach the kids about fishing, and sportsmanship. Help them love the sport. Now of course if you just pick up the rod and reel in the fish, and give the kids credit, you are not teaching the right lesson.
 Women I would expect can handle reeling in fish. May just need help reaching rods from up high, and diver rods. Pump rods for 7 year olds? I have no answer for that.

Like I said, my opinion, not to be taken as the rules. If I have it wrong, the powers in charge need to clarify such.

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 09:49:34 AM »

No, its not hard at all and should be easy and most importantly fun but when a good chunk of change is thrown out for the purse it makes things more difficult without a firm set of rules.  I know guys that are fishing straight off electric riggers with no rods Friday and my wife was getting her hair cut this morning and the women there were under the assumption that women had to net and set lines as well. There is a lot of confusion and  I have even received texts asking me what the rules are and I didn't set anything up.  Not everyone goes on UPA or FB.

Should be simple. Kids and women reel with or without help and the rest is up to the crew.
Pages: [1] 2