upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Straits ?  (Read 5055 times)

Troll N Yooper

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Straits ?
« on: July 13, 2015, 11:13:23 PM »

So one has to ask,
is the fishing that slow in the straits, and around the area, or are the fishermen that tight lipped ?
hope to get out this week ? any ideas what and where ?
  Thanks, Mike :usa:

Yoda

• Take a Kid Fishing
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Straits ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 05:15:18 AM »

Pretty slow, and for the most part very few are fishing there because of that.
Halcyon Charters L.L.C.
Owned and Operated by
John & Paula King
906-630-2206

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 12:46:37 PM »

You were there on Saturday Yoda did you do any good? I know of two kings that were caught on Saturday. Looking at the cleaning station Saturday it did not leave any evidence. I cleaned some pike and walleye there, that is about all that is in the freezer. It is not what it used to be. If the fish survive the southern Lake Michigan slaughter a few make it back to the straits. I think that has a lot to do with why the action is slow up here. The other issue might be the wholesale dumping of colder Lake Superior water into the St Mary's.

FiShSkInS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 02:37:52 PM »

Superior as of Sunday was a bone chilling 43 degrees 20 ft down... Cannon balls felt like ice when you grabbed them !!
Willie Fairplay

Boat name : NiTrO FiSh

ALL BALLZ FISHING

Home Port: Bare-ing C

Yoda

• Take a Kid Fishing
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »

We where not fishing Bob, shuttle service from Mac island to round island for there open house
Halcyon Charters L.L.C.
Owned and Operated by
John & Paula King
906-630-2206

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 01:04:30 PM »

I have been fishing for alligators since the salmon numbers have gone downhill. I caught these two last night.

Troll N Yooper

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 01:43:30 AM »

wensday,
well,, splashed the boat for the first time this year,  :thmb: daylight launch to be able to address trouble,
went west of the bridge and bumped a couple lakers 1 tb and lost one on a rod hand off, cowbells and clown spin and glows, no other hits,
 ran out in the evening, trolled from west side of major shoal to the island across under the grand, picked up went north side of bois blanc
back to straits state harbor, at 11 pm
six rod spread, spoons, flasher flies, J plugs, colors and sizes, wire divers, lead core, copper, ???? sad()
 no hits no runs no errors.
   yup,  "slow"   out there, saw maybe 3 boats fishing, heard two others on the radio. yup slow,
   Mike :usa:

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 08:40:56 AM »

There have been 4 salmon that I know of caught in the Straits this summer

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 07:09:53 AM »

Going to FINALLY make my way north today and hopefully add to that 4 salmon count this week.  After a challenging few weeks doing everything else (family death and personal surgery) it's going to be refreshing to get on the lake again.  Really don't care if I catch a fish or not, but it would a nice bonus.

Jim Schantz
Slip 26
Manistee Municipal Marina

todd v

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »

headed there for all of next week. I will post if do any good.

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 02:19:26 PM »

I didn't do any damage to the fish population this morning.  Made a one direction troll westbound under the bridge for about three hours.  Marked a few fish and a little bait in the 80' to 100' area but had no bites.  Surface temp is in the 70's with a solid break at about 55' to 60'.  Went from the mid 60's to low 50's in a matter of a few feet.  Local charter got a few...I'm guessing east of Mackinac Island and I suspect lakers.  Might try an evening sunset troll for a change of pace.  Too hot here at the moment for my liking.
Jim Schantz
Slip 26

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 08:59:06 AM »

Jim, if it helps the salmon that I know of were caught in front of the St Ignace Coast Guard station. That was in mid July. With this heat wave they should be on the move looking for colder water.

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 10:24:41 AM »

Water is plenty cold out in the bridge channel down about 60'.  It's just void of any kind of life form (other than insects).  Marked one fish this morning and that one was right at the temp break.  Hot and buggy today.  What's with the Northerrn Michigan thing?  You guys have two seasons, winter and bugs. 

Thanks for the advice.
Jim Schantz
Slip 26

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 10:29:15 AM »

Jim, I have been following catch reports on the internet for the last 2 years on the internet. About two years ago they opened the floodgates in the Soo draining water into the lower great lakes. I am thinking that the colder Lake Superior water is unfavorable to the salmon. They avoid this area and food has nothing to do with it. There will be some salmon showing up in the next week or two. I would be looking for warmer water. Last year we found salmon by St Martin's Island in August.

Troll N Yooper

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 02:43:06 AM »

well Bob you can up the count to 6,
last sunday night went exploring, west & east of bridge south side of grahm shoal 2 lakers 6# moonshine std bloody nose, 10# white moonshine something on a slider, and a 9# king at dark same bloody nose, 80' fow.
   this saturday,night, little later start sad() did some more looking went back to grahm picked up one king same place  ;D 7# std yellow tail, surface temp 67. later in front of St Igy 54 ? marked very few, lot of marks in front of the power house on the bottom,
any word on how the cheboygan tourney went ?
any silver over east ? detour ?
 :usa:
    Thanks, Mike
Pages: [1] 2