upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Straits ?  (Read 5054 times)

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Straits ?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 04:45:37 PM »

Don't know how Cheboygan tourney went. I called to find out and the guy that I fish with did not work it this year. Been checking the cleaning station at St Ignace. Just Lake Trout and misc. other fish.

Troll N Yooper

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 04:48:23 PM »

both kings, no fin clips, do they want the heads or whole fish in the freezer ?

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 08:42:41 AM »

Cleaning station? Throw all of the scraps in. Those nice red fillets bring them to me. You can have the greasers, my cat and dog will eat every kind of fish but a greaser. The dog growls at me when I throw him a greaser.

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 08:12:41 PM »

I think I'm more or less ready to throw in the towel on any Straits salmon fishery.  Certainly, it's not worth my time to wait for sometime in August/September for "a" fish to appear.  I love the area and the boating here, but the fishery is lakers or bust.  I trolled from the bridge channel between the shoals and north past St. Ignace this morning.  My first obsevation is that there should be an ice bridge to the island sometime in September from what my probe was reading.  I'm positive it's not dead on accurate because I saw a down temp at 31.4° this morning 25' down off the USCG station.  I thought the probe battery quit so I brought the probe to the surface and it read similar to the sonar reading so the battery was OK and read fine later in "warmer" water.  Depending on where I was along that course, there was a defined temp break that varied from about 50' down out in the channel to about 15' to 20' in places off St. Ignace.  I did catch a couple lakers in spite of my salmon program.  Both lakers came on a wire diver with spin doctor/fly out 100'.  So those guys were high in the water column near that temp break.
Jim Schantz
Slip 26
Manistee Municipal Marina

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 11:00:27 AM »

It was cold like that last year in August. We had a surface temperature of 36 degrees for 8 days straight in St Ignace. I think that it has to do with all of the cold water coming in from Lake Superior and that is why the salmon are not here.

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »

I actually stumbled into a salmon this morning.  The fish hit a Miami Dolphin Silver Streak on a full core.  That's all the action I had.  I was fishing east of Mackinac Island over maybe 150' of water.  There was a bit of a thermal line over there.  As I approached the Bois Blanc shore, the water warmed.  A bit more offshore, I had a nice temp break about 45' down.  The fog rolled in around 8 am and I'm not a fan of solo fishing in the fog so packed it up a little before 9 am.  Didn't feel like fishing with the ferry boats as the south side of the island was clear so just continued back to the slip.  Maybe do a little evening run near the bridge later.

Jim Schantz
Slip 26
Manistee Municipal Marina

Troll N Yooper

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 01:10:12 AM »

stumbled ? sounds like you worked for it ! Jim,
ran east of mackinaw at dark, 60 - 80 ft. south shore, few marks no hits, may try sat eve,
 Mike :usa:

St Marys Troller

• Two Rivers Coho 13May17
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 08:28:06 AM »

Fished it last night for the first time since June, fished the island. Had one good release that bounced and came off, pulled lines at 845 and had a small laker on the 60' rigger on a mag yellow tail. If weather cooperates well be back out tomorrow night.
Poor Boys Outdoors
Joe Picotte
Starcraft 176 Fishmaster
"Gold Troller"
USCG Two Rivers Wisconsin
Pages: 1 [2]