upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Where's a pullout on the Paint River a couple miles below M-69?  (Read 1539 times)

catchafew

• View Profile

Thinking of doing a float fishing trip on the Paint below M-69.  I'm looking at Bing maps satellite views and Kimball rd 'looks' like a decent road that eventually cross what appears to be a pipeline/powerline open field that leads to a river fording and further down there are some roads that leads to 'Mud Lake', a little slough off of the paint.

Of course what 'looks' like a drivable road might not be the case as it's too rough (I have a little 4x4 SUV) or road crosses on to some private property that's locked up or signs posted all over the place.  Anyone have any suggestions where to park?   I know I can go down to the power dam down there the airport but that seems like a long float trip while as I'll be fishing the whole time, plus I believe roads leading to dam are all locked up for security reasons. 

One other question.  From the sat photos of that section of the paint it looks fairly smooth (not a bunch of rapids??).  Any issues with taking an aluminum canoe down there or it's going to drag too much with skinny water or i'll be playing bumper cars too much with river boulders?  In a plastic canoe I don't mind scratching it up a little but aluminum canoes stick on gravel bars too much and get too banged up on boulders for my comfort.

Thanks

Bad Habit

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where's a pullout on the Paint River a couple miles below M-69?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »

The road leading down to the 3rd pipeline is fine.  I've seen cars down there before.  You could take the snowmobile grade right from the bottom of the hill in Crystal Falls or can take Kimball Rd to get there.  Either way is smooth sailing.

Not sure how much water you'll have right now, but I'm sure you'll be fine in a canoe.  There will be a few boulders but nothing that you should be too concerned about.
Nathaniel Kudwa
Boat Name: "Bad Habit"
Crystal Falls, MI
www.eyeflies.com
www.finnspoons.com

catchafew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 10:27:04 PM »

Thank you.

Bad Habit

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:57:11 AM »

Thank you.

No problem.......

Not sure what fish you are targeting, but if it's trout the Brule or South Branch of the Paint would be a better bet.
Nathaniel Kudwa
Boat Name: "Bad Habit"
Crystal Falls, MI
www.eyeflies.com
www.finnspoons.com

jmohunts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:09:09 AM »

There is a little camping spot with a nice outhouse and such, north side off of road going to horse race rapids(airport road) Mostly smallmouth, walleye, musky, and panfish in that section of paint.
"SMOKE -N- FINN"
ALUMACRAFT CUSTOM TROPHY 18