upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Whats working ? or not !  (Read 2749 times)

Troll N Yooper

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Whats working ? or not !
« on: August 15, 2015, 11:18:54 PM »

:usa: Whats working out there ? bridge to detour - cheboygan, east
there are a lot of people watching this site and others, no one is saying anything, granted most are making trips with no success ! lack of fish, overall disgust ?
  face to face there are reports of silver fish taken in ones and twos, no word on atlantics ? steelheads ? few kings ?
do pinks still swim in our waters ?
 water temps, breaks and thermoclines scattered, change every weekend,
 not that I'm asking for the holy grail of where the fish are (or your mushroom spot) if your not catching anything speak up, we all don't need to cover the same water looking for something that's not there,
maybe out of school on this ? or just lost ?
looking at trailering west.
 Mike

Yoda

• Take a Kid Fishing
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Whats working ? or not !
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:53:50 AM »

Can't catch or report on what's not there, most of the boats fishing St. Ignace and detour area are charter boat, little different beast then your average weekend warrior. Charter boats are for the most part a "Numbers" game, most folks just want to catch fish, don't care what color they are, so why would we burn gas for 5 hours trolling for silver fish to maybe catch 1 or 2 salmon (and that's a big maybe) when we can take people out most days a fill a 4 man limit of Lakers in 3 to 4 hours. We are not fishing the St.Ignace area this year, rumor has it that the charters fishing there are running to lighthouse point to catch Lakers, that's a bit of a run for St,ignace based boats. And most folks on this site don't really talk laker fishing.
You want to talk Lakers all ya gota do is ask  :thmb:
You want to talk Salmon, you need to look at lake Michigan ports I think,, and even then things are down , so I'm told..
If you want a better than average chanced at silver fish head up to the Soo, they are doing well on Atlantic tying up to the powerhouse and pitching flies up into the the  that are running, for better information on that fishery call and talk to Dane at the new boat/artic cat dealer on the corner of Mac. trail and I75 business spur in the soo..
Halcyon Charters L.L.C.
Owned and Operated by
John & Paula King
906-630-2206

Troll N Yooper

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 12:51:22 PM »

:usa: thanks for the reply,  :thmb:  cool()have thought of making a trip to the soo in the past, may have to do it this year.
escanaba may be on the after labor day agenda.
good luck to all !
Mike

todd v

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »

I was up for a vacation and some work the last two weeks. Made it out of 3 mornings. first morning was best with one 12lb king on a half core and mag yellowtail. 3 lakers rigger at 50, slider and 1 on half core. wonderbread took 2 and Kevorkian the other. next morning 1 laker, cant remember spoon. went out 5 days later and got skunked.

St Marys Troller

• Two Rivers Coho 13May17
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:59:45 AM »

I caught a handful of Lakers on the St Ignace side this back in June, haven't had my boat in since. I'm going tonight if the wind cooperates, probably will try Sunday night as well.
Poor Boys Outdoors
Joe Picotte
Starcraft 176 Fishmaster
"Gold Troller"
USCG Two Rivers Wisconsin

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 05:04:28 PM »

I'm back in the area for a couple weeks.  That usually means high winds and trailers inverted on the bridge deck, but in case it calms down, I'll be out from time to time.
Jim Schantz
Slip 26
Manistee Municipal Marina

St Marys Troller

• Two Rivers Coho 13May17
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 08:29:55 AM »

Had one good release last night by the island, bounced once and came off. Pulled lines at 845 and had a small laker on the 60' rigger on a mag yellow tail. Back out tomorrow night.
Poor Boys Outdoors
Joe Picotte
Starcraft 176 Fishmaster
"Gold Troller"
USCG Two Rivers Wisconsin

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 10:33:29 AM »

According to noise on the radio this morning, sounded like there was some action north of St Ignace...mostly lakers of course.  There was a mention of a net in the area as well, so be aware of that obstacle.  I did a brief one hour troll east and west of the bridge because of an appointment this morning and found nothing there but a strong current east to west.  Temperature break about 60' down.
Jim Schantz
Slip 26

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 10:41:16 PM »

Trolled one pass north off St Ignace and landed a nice laker off an SWR with a blue dolphin Dreamweaver spoon down 40' over about 100' of water.  Turned around and took a nice king at sunset in the low teens just north of the net over maybe 120' of water on a magnum bloody nose Moonshine RV spoon on a full core.  Quit after landing that fish.  Beautiful evening for a little fishing. 

Jim Schantz
Slip 26