upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

A proposal currently exists to keep the eastern anchor point of the 1>23" slot zone line at Peninsula Point but change the western anchor point from the Ford River mouth approximately 9 miles south to the Bark River mouth.

Yes, I support the proposal to change the western anchor point of the 1>23" slot zone line to the Bark River mouth
- 12 (20.3%)
No, I do not support the proposal to change the western anchor point of the 1>23" slot zone line to the Bark river mouth
- 47 (79.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: November 07, 2015, 07:53:32 PM

Author Topic: Poll about slot limit change on little bay de noc  (Read 8135 times)

Fish-ti-cuffs

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • UPangler
    • Email
Poll about slot limit change on little bay de noc
« on: October 08, 2015, 08:53:32 PM »

I was asked to put this poll on the forums by a member of upangler.com, please vote.
Thanks,
Brett
Brett Lewis
FishTiCuffs
><))))°>

"It's on like Bing Bong, Jack" --Uncle Si

always gone

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Poll about slot limit change on little bay de noc
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 09:31:01 PM »

I heard rumors of a proposal to include Big Bay Denoc in this slot limit and all of Delta County. Can anyone share some truth about this. Not a good idea in my mind, going to be alot of pissed off people.
Adam Petrelius

deltadawncharters

• Even A Blind Squirrel Find A Nut Once In A While.
    • View Profile
    • www.deltadawncharters@up.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 02:12:00 AM »

That will not happen  :thmb:
Delta Dawn Charters
232 Grady White
Boat Name Delta Dawn
Escanaba,Gladstone,Manistique, Mi.

qbfishon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 11:09:19 AM »

IMO as long as the state allows gill netting the only restriction should be 5 fish per licenced angler. Most folks who fish walleye don't keep the big ones anyway.
Quinn Barrios
Grady White 208 Adventurer "Q-Boat"
MY HEROES DONT WEAR CAPES, THEY WEAR DOGTAGS

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 12:03:32 PM »

Well, we're a little late to the party. The fisheries order was signed yesterday. The slot limit boundary will now go from Peninsula Point to the mouth of the Bark River.

I sent Darren Kramer an email on the subject on the 8th, and he wrote back to me this morning. Me in blue and him in red.

Hi Daren. I understand there is a proposal to expand the 23 inch slot limit on Little Bay de Noc, to the mouth of the Bark River. Is this proposal set in stone, or is there still time for public input on the subject? I have learned that there was a public meeting held in July, and that very few people attended. Any word on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

CHRIS WAHL - BAY VIEW BAIT and TACKLE

Hi Chris- The fisheries order change was signed by the Natural Resources Commission yesterday in Cedarville.  The proposal was to move the western point of the boundary from the Ford River to the Bark River and leave the point at the Peninsula Point lighthouse as is.  The spring I met with a group from the Bays de Noc Great Lakes Sportfishermen (president, a couple board members, some general members-if I remember correctly) and their original proposal was to implement the slot regulation on all waters of Delta County and return to the end of February walleye season closure.  The tweaked slot boundary was the end  result of those discussions.  The public meeting (which also included statewide fisheries issues-chumming, steelhead bag limits) had low turnout like almost all other regulations meetings that I've witnessed. Yes-I will still take comments from anyone on this issue as no fisheries order is permanently set in stone and can be can be considered for change in the future, if warranted.  As you remember the slot was on LBdN, then removed, then put in place again several years ago.

Darren Kramer Northern Lake Michigan Unit Manager Escanaba Field Office-Michigan DNR

If you wish to contact Darren in support or opposition of this regulation, his email is kramerd@michigan.gov and the number at the field office in Escanaba is (906) 786-2351.

The following is my own personal opinion! Some will not agree with it. That's why we all get to have them, I guess.

I do not support this change, and do not believe that the majority of fishermen that fish the bay would, either. This is a social regulation, not a biological regulation. If the majority of the users of a resource don't agree with it, then it should not be in place. It is my opinion that this is a knee-jerk reaction to a rare situation where people were able to target good numbers of large walleye outside of the original slot limit boundary, in late February and early March of last winter. The majority of the board of directors of the Bay De Noc Great Lakes Sport Fishing club do not ice fish. A lot of them are open water tournament anglers. To me, it seemed like a case of "those icefishermen are killing our big fish! We don't like that!"

I've been in the bait business since the early 1990's. In all that time, you could count the number of winters with safe ice conditions outside of the slot boundary, at the end of the walleye season, on one hand. The few years that it happens, some slobs will take limits of fish over the slot, (perfectly legal.) Still, many, if not most, will still follow the 23 inch slot on their own.

Meanwhile, this rule change will not effect the open water tournament guys. Funny since tournaments will result in more big fish killed in any given ten year period, than what would be taken by icefishermen in those few years when conditions would allow icefishing in the expanded slot area. I have been cleaning the dead fish for the fishing club and other tournaments that come to the bay, for many years. LOTS of fish die at every tournament. To the BDNGLSF's credit, they reduced the team bag limits from 5 fish to 3,  several years ago. Still, lots of fish die at every tournament, and most of those fish are over the 23 inch slot limit.

And you know what, that's ok. I don't have problems with people keeping legal fish. I have a problem when one group of fishermen think it's ok for them to keep and kill fish, but not another. That's why I do not agree with this regulation change.

RANT OFF!

Little Bay de Noc fish-a-holic

"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it."

always gone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 04:00:12 PM »

Sure seems like absolutely "zero" scientific knowledge went into this decision, just a major cave to political pressure. Seems like a select few individuals spoke for the majority and pushed their agenda also only to have the order passed quietly and quickly. What a joke.
Adam Petrelius

jmbobs

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 09:26:26 PM »

I talked to a fisheries guy this spring and he said the current regs for the bay have basically had no effect on the overall population or size of walleyes.  They we're put into place because that is what fisherman wanted.  I'm not opposed to the regs due to the heavy fishing pressure the upper bay receives in the winter, but I personally would prefer a true slot limit to protect fish with the highest egg vitality.  I have been fortunate enough to have caught and released several fish that have passed the ten pound mark throughout the bay (one is on my wall) and am not sure why some people will fill a bucket with them if given the opportunity.  I also know that it is somewhat unusual to run into the size limitation inside the bay since many of the fish will be less than 23".  Moving south of the ford river presents a very different situation.  I have done a fair amount of fishing there and it can be difficult to find fish less than 23".  I do like releasing great walleye, but I probably wouldn't head out of the Ford River into the big water after dark in October, just to catch and release.  The fisheries guy I talked to also mentioned that many of the transient eyes have been arriving in the bay later in the fall and leaving earlier in the spring and they weren't sure why.  I am assuming this guy knew what he was talking about.

DanaM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 06:45:01 AM »

Well said Chris, I would like to see the Tribal Authorities actually "Punish" their members when caught violating their own rules!
Its also time for the NRC to renegotiate their allowable limits on sustenance fishing. I know I'm living in a dream world eh.

St Marys Troller

• Two Rivers Coho 13May17
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 07:04:56 AM »

Well said Chris, I would like to see the Tribal Authorities actually "Punish" their members when caught violating their own rules!
Its also time for the NRC to renegotiate their allowable limits on sustenance fishing. I know I'm living in a dream world eh.

AMEN
Poor Boys Outdoors
Joe Picotte
Starcraft 176 Fishmaster
"Gold Troller"
USCG Two Rivers Wisconsin

eyesnatcher

• New Guy
  • Can't we all just get along?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »

If all of us fisherman, who buy the licenses and spend money on boats, tackle, etc, would band together and spend actual time sitting down figuring out what needs to be done, and then actually showing up to the open forums to voice our opinions, maybe some meaningful changes to the fishery could be made.  There are just too many things (DNR, Tribal, idiots in general) working against us.  Most of us would like things to be different, but what are we actually doing about it other than posting our rants on here.......
Rippin' lips since 1985

always gone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 10:38:07 PM »

Well said. Those that supported this rule change showed up, those that didn't support it, didn't (at least in numbers). It is very evident by the results in this poll that this is what the fishermen did not want. But those that were willing to put in the time and lobby for it got what they wanted. It doesn't matter what the majority thinks, just matters who makes the most noise.
Adam Petrelius

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 11:35:27 AM »

The next board of directors meeting of the Bay de Noc Great Lakes Sport Fishing club will be Tuesday, November 3rd. It will start at 7pm at the Great Lakes Sport and Rec club in Escanaba. Board meetings are open to the general membership and general public, if you'd like to share your thoughts on this subject.

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 11:42:35 AM »

Meeting went well on Tuesday, and helped clear some things up.

As I understand it now, the clubs advisory group met with the DNR in the spring, asking for early season closure and a 23 inch slot on all Lake Michigan waters of Delta County. This was in response to heavy angler pressure in the area just outside the slot limit boundary, near Ford River this past winter. Those options were rejected. DNR biologist Daren Kramer countered with moving the slot limit western boundary down to the Bark River. The group agreed to that, and that's as far as the clubs involvement went, as far as I can tell.

It was in the DNR's hands after that. At the last club meeting, many members of the board stated they were surprised to hear that the fisheries order had been signed so quickly, (normally it seems to take at least a year or two get a regulation changed.)

I made a motion that passed, requiring all future DNR Advisory Committee meetings with the DNR have minutes recorded and shared at the following Board of Directors meeting of the Sport Fishing club. This is something we should have been doing, but hadn't. I feel it will help keep the rest of the board, and the rest of the fishing public, more informed about what's going on behind the scenes, and give us all a chance to fairly voice our opinions with the DNR about future regulation changes affecting the bays.

Honey Hole

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 01:19:56 PM »

Thanks for attending and keeping all of us informed on the proceedings. Is there any chance to have the rule rescinded as it appears that it is not favored by very many fishers.
Ken

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 03:06:23 PM »

See my first post in this thread. Darren said he'd take public input on the matter. Shoot him an email or call the field office to talk to him or leave a message. If enough people complain, it can be changed back.