upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Deer management plans  (Read 19238 times)

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
Deer management plans
« on: November 06, 2015, 10:31:36 AM »

In one of my latest mags, Predators Xtreme, an article mentions coyotes taking down deer in the winter and 40% of their scat is deer hair etc.. The deer aren't scavenged but killed by the coyotes. Some studies have shown they kill twice as many adults in the winter than they do fawns in the summer. Rant- As MI biologists finally know coyotes are the #1 predator of deer, why don't they allow coyote hunting year round instead of protecting them and the pups in the spring and summer. This is as bad as dropping fish limits etc on BaydeNoc so the indians can have em.  :mad: I'm familiar with the present needs of deer browse and winter shelter for deer but first you have to have deer.  If one might think I'm not and never have been happy with the MI DNR, one might be spot on.
Silencers are finally legal but not for hunting? More below the bridge thinking. I know Ray, if I don't like it leave. roll()
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Blacklab

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Deer management plans
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:35:54 PM »

I agree almost completely, since the DNR has good people too though, but the rest is spot on Johnny. :thmb:

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 03:12:54 PM »

You're first post ever is dead on Black Lab. Some great people at the DNR!

Anyway, hunted in Skips predator tourney a couple weekends ago.

Went up north to escape the crowds and never saw a coyote track. Barely a deer track.

Wolf tracks dominated—and that extended suprpisingly south. Ironically, the one set of deer tracks I did see was running full out and had 3 sets of running wolf on top of it. Go figure.

I still think the new idea I've heard bandied about—"Project 18 Wheeler®" where a pack or two is sent by truck to lower mi to start working the area will really set things right by showing us all we really have nothing to worry about.

Nothing like being able to see there's nothing to worry about right in your own back yard... and think of the Youtube footage

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 06:24:58 PM »

You can hunt yotes 9 months of the year. All year on private property if you feel they may cause an issue. No permission needed. Skilled and motivated hunters should be able to harvest a lot of yotes in nine months.
 I am not sure coyotes eating lots of deer has ever been any kind of secret. Long before wolves were ever talked about. I am not really seeing the DNR being the problem here.

B and D fishing team

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 06:52:08 PM »

What Michigan Wisconsin and Minnesota DNR have to do is to tell the Feds.  We are done investigating any wolf poaching case and the Feds. will de list them real fast. It worked for Idaho. When the Feds realize it is open season they will react. :thmb:

Yooper Padre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 06:37:22 AM »

What Michigan Wisconsin and Minnesota DNR have to do is to tell the Feds.  We are done investigating any wolf poaching case and the Feds. will de list them real fast. It worked for Idaho. When the Feds realize it is open season they will react. :thmb:

Agree 100% 
Fr. Jeffrey Kurtz
Watersmeet, MI

michiganman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 10:31:01 AM »

Both MikeM  and B and D had very good points that would help our deer herd ! (what's left of it)

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 07:06:39 PM »

I am not really seeing the DNR being the problem here.

As most know the weather is the worst or best influence on the Yooper herd and we can do nothing about that. The other facets of managing the herd is mostly controlled by the laws and enforcement of the laws of the DNR. Of course food and shelter are important, lacking, but always were lacking. Wolves, coyotes, and bears preying on such a small number of deer should be more harshly addressed. Further temporary, stricter, harvesting restrictions should also be seriously considered. JMO
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 08:41:33 PM »

The subject you chose was coyotes. That is the subject I replied to. Of all the variables you mentioned. Coyotes are the one thing the DNR gives at least nine months for us to manage.
 Now I will be the first to tell you. Since I do not hunt. I lack the motivation and skills required to reduce the number of coyotes in the woods. But at the same time. I am not blaming the DNR for the numbers of coyotes in the woods.
 As for the other variables you mentioned. Clearly those all are separate subjects, each having differences in opinion.

Toolman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 08:42:29 PM »

Let's just keep shooting those yotes every chance we have Al. :thmb:
Ray Uimari
Take Three
Marquette, MI

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 12:28:01 AM »

I do go after them every chance I get with the remote wireless caller and camera.  but I'm not the walker I once was which makes perfect setups difficult at best. The coyote gun is always aboard the truck and is a mag feed for a quick load and have at it when the opportunity presents. I love shooting the most crafty critter in the woods and wouldn't trade one for a thousand sage rats.

Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

B and D fishing team

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 06:21:52 PM »

It might be off topic but Plum Creek has been sold. It will most likely be a year before we see any changes.

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »

The UP has one big problem and that is the wolves can only migrate so far east. We gain wolves every year and don't even count them. Once they migrate into the UP and move east chances are probably 50/50 that they will not go back to Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Canada. Chances are also less than 1% that they will migrate to the LP. If Michigan does eventually have a hunting season and we kill off 50 wolves we can gain that many back in a month or so.

Vertigo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 05:00:30 PM »

Our deer herd needs help!! However just shooting a few coyotes will probably never make any difference. Studies show coyotes will populate at a faster rate when pressured by hunting and trapping. I also question the practice of dumping truck loads of carcasses out to hunt coyotes. Feeding them and their young and maybe shooting a few?? I'm sure there are a few people who capitalize over bait but I would think it helps them much more in the long run.
In my opinion we need a reduction in bear numbers along with coyotes and wolves. Sportsman also are going to have to change. Seasons and lengths may need to be altered for a few years the practice of any hunting in December should be under close scrutiny. Doe permits should not be filled in December as they migrate they need to be able to return to less populated areas. 1 change will not help it will take a few years with the best of conditions. But hey to big insurance companies we still have to many deer.
Kevin Goodman

Hemlockhollow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 08:57:51 PM »

This year so far at my camp in Arnold in South Marquette county we have seen 2 bucks and and maybe 8-10 deer(doe, fawn  combo). 4 coyotes and one wolf. 4 blinds that  cover 15 40 acre parcels...slim pickins!!! After dark we compare notes to who seen what at any certain time so as not to confuse duplicate sightings.
Cameras are showing some good bucks at night as well as several coyotes.
Be proactive, show an interest in your local k9 population. Invest in heavy metals.
Joe phillips
Kick his ass sea bass!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8