upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2016 Maple Season  (Read 1693 times)

Fina Leigh Dunn

• View Profile
2016 Maple Season
« on: February 26, 2016, 06:56:27 PM »

Tapped 78 trees on the 20th, going for at least 100-120 taps. Sap was flowing. Spent a few nights and weekends building an arch for our new pan this year, 2x4, divided w/ drop flus, rated for 20-25 GPH. Anybody else tapping/boiling yet? does anybody use an R.O. setup to concentrate, pre-boil? thinking we may appreciate less time boiling, since we keep aiming for more taps every year
~Aaron Loehr

Dragon balls

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Maple Season
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 07:15:15 PM »

1st batch of 2016 finished, not a very good ratio 60 gallon to 1 gallon. Upside is the syrup has great color and not much sand. Weather needs to cool off at night. Good luck everyone

Super Yooper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 12:59:20 PM »

24 taps in so far and a slow start to the year.  Its been too warm here on the west side of Iron County.  Redesigned the stove and had a new pan folded up and it doesn't look like I'll get to run it thru much of a test, at least so far.
Bill Artwich
22' Starcraft Islander - "Fish Flu"
Iron River, MI

Fishon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 01:43:03 PM »

Tapped about 25 trees February 20.  First boil on February 27 over propane.  12.5 gallons of sap yielded 32 oz. of syrup.   43 to 1 ratio.  Doesn't sound like much but that early batch is the best!  Looks like honey. 
Second boil was on march 12 on the wood cooker.  90 gallons of sap from 31 taps.  28 taps if you don't count 3 taps that didn't have any sap.  Half the sap came in march 10-11 with the other half coming February 28-march 9.  Just over 2 gallons of nice light syrup.  44 to 1 ratio.

That's all until next weekend
John Kelly
South Paw's Deck Boss

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 12:01:25 PM »

Sap has been running pretty hard the last couple days here, 10 trees have given me 18 gal sap in a day and a half.  Anyone still boiling?  I imagine the sugar content will be down a bit per gal/sap.  It seems to be boiling down a bit darker than the earlier runs.
John Kyle

Can anyone tell me why Bottom Bouncer catches so many fish?
Most popular answer:  Gill nets

OneLittle

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:54:45 AM »

My son and I boiled down about 35 gallons this past Saturday.  Ended up with just over 3/4 of a gallon of nice, thick, clear syrup.  Very pleased for my first time making syrup since I was a kid!  Already have 60 gallons of sap for our next batch, and if it runs good today, we'll probably end up boiling down 90+ gallons tomorrow.  Only running 20 taps and cooking it off in a 2'x3' pan.  The way I figure it, that first batch cost me about $100.00 a pint...............almost boiled it down too long.....................the hydrometer was floating right out of the evaporator, and only took about 30 minutes to finish off!
Joe Pigeon
Newberry, MI