upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Worth reading!  (Read 1819 times)

Theora III

• View Profile
Mark Hirvonen
Pursuit 2150 WA
Marquette and Barbeau, MI
Boat name: Theora III

trappert

• View Profile
Re: Worth reading!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 02:54:21 PM »

I think the salmon in Lake Michigan are going to be a thing of the past. Sad but what can ya do cutting the stocking will help so maybe we can still have a fishery of salmon just not as big as we had years ago. I fish the rivers of west Michigan every fall and there are less salmon and fishermen are releasing the females more witch is good to see and there is fish to catch for the time being just not 5 a day like it was years ago. IMO. Was a good a read,thanks.

chum bucket

• Brown Trout Derby 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 08:17:36 AM »

Every fisherman with a boat on Lake Michigan should read this.  It's almost funny last fall reading posts on lake - link with guys who don't have a clue on what's going on.  Glad I sold my boat when I did. 

If I keep up fishing like this, my wife is going to have an intervention for me.

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 03:36:16 PM »

You have to be happy with what there is available to catch. Like Lake Trout. The DNR got into the game a little late, they should have been able to predict this coming and planted more atlantics and steelhead.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 06:47:31 AM »

Steeliebob, that is the entire point of the study's model simulations outcomes and conclusions; planting more fish, even species that are not totally reliant on alewife for their principal forage would do not be a good idea because the prey base is also food limited for both vertebrates and invertebrate food items other than Quagga sp. mussels.

The USFWS is sponsoring a lake herring relocation effort to try and establish stocks in lower Lake Huron, off Saginaw bay. The lake trout population modeling data I looked at from the MDNR that was presented last GLFC lake committees meeting indicates that lake trout have hit a forage wall in open Lake Huron waters, limited growth rates.

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 08:17:53 AM »

I don't think that they need to stop planting the salmon as much as they need to make drastic cuts in the lake trout planting. I would be happy to see less salmon planted and trade for more steelhead. Any knucklehead armchair biologist knows that if you continue to plant 3 million lake trout per year you are not going to solve anything. Even if you don't eat lake trout if you are fishing on L. Michigan, L.Huron, or L. Ontario catch and keep your limit. Do the lakes a favor and get rid of a few of them.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 08:34:16 AM »

I don't think that they need to stop planting the salmon as much as they need to make drastic cuts in the lake trout planting. I would be happy to see less salmon planted and trade for more steelhead. Any knucklehead armchair biologist knows that if you continue to plant 3 million lake trout per year you are not going to solve anything. Even if you don't eat lake trout if you are fishing on L. Michigan, L.Huron, or L. Ontario catch and keep your limit. Do the lakes a favor and get rid of a few of them.

Numerically, lake trout became the dominant salmonine in Lake Michigan waters a handful of years prior the last chinook stocking cuts were enacted (source: Great Lakes Fish and Wildlife Commission annual Lake Committee meetings presentation on Lake Trout popuation status.)

Yes, you would think someone would eventually arrive at that conclusion: after thirty years of lake trout planting efforts that are still barely successful(only in the mid and southern Lake Michigan basin statistical districts, and at values still well below recovery goals) in generating a naturally spawning stock component;continued listing as a do not consume item in the Fish Consumption Advisory for Lakes Michigan and Huron (Dioxin-like PCB congener concentrations); and now, rising methyl-mercury tissue levels...

It will  be interesting to see what happens should the Consumer's Union initiative achieve a restructuring of FDA consumption standards for methyl-mercury in fish fillets. Tribal catch is exempt from FDA oversight.