upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MDNR Fisheries Staff Meetings - "Conversation & Coffee"  (Read 2642 times)

Scale Chaser

• View Profile
    • Finn Tackle Company
    • Email
MDNR Fisheries Staff Meetings - "Conversation & Coffee"
« on: March 27, 2016, 03:46:49 PM »

FYI - I get these emails from the DNR and I thought I would post this in case others were interested.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MIDNR/bulletins/13cd313
Capt. Brad Muscoe
Marquette, MI
Boat Name: Ella Bella
www.finnspoons.com
Please "Like" us at
http://www.facebook.com/FinnTackleCompany

BudFan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: MDNR Fisheries Staff Meetings - "Conversation & Coffee"
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 10:33:43 AM »

Madison said they will have full time creel census people at Ontonagon and Black River Harbors to study the amount of fish taken by sports fishermen at the request of the WI and MN tribes. He also mentioned the increased volume of nets around the Keweenaw. I hope that they can figure out that there are too many nets, and do something about it, before it is to late.

qbfishon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 04:11:41 PM »

why doesn't the dnr have somebody to take a survey of what the nets take
Quinn Barrios
Grady White 208 Adventurer "Q-Boat"
MY HEROES DONT WEAR CAPES, THEY WEAR DOGTAGS

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 06:32:12 AM »

This has been a near-continuous accusation of the GLIFC affiliated "fisherman" for a decade;sport fisherman routinely violate creel limits leading to massive overfishing.  I just look to the "bust" of GLIFC Tribal fishers via the Federal sham fish wholesale operation in Baraga;routine effort by several fishers to sell non-target caught and retained species, including a small mountain of Lake Sturgeon, as an indication of what the "tip of the iceberg" looks like.  You can argue that it was only evidence of a couple of bad players"; or it only captured the routine habits of the few GLIFC Tribal fishers who sold their catch in this small slice of geography.  To me, that is the larger, far more pertinent question that should be addressed and answered.

Sadly, to date, nothing has ever come from that bust in terms of convictions.

GLIFC "enforces" their Total Allowable Catch quotas by issuing each fisher a series of numbered "zip ties" for lake trout. Each pair of fillets has to have one of these affixed when it is sold; restaurant, wholesale fish operation, guy on the side of the road, it makes no difference. When the fisherman exhausts their supply, they have to stop fishing, since they have reached their TAC.  Pretty effective regulation technique, IF anyone ever or routinely checks the purchaser's records against the catch records reported. Sadly, that is the really big IF... based on the responses I have received when I check at a variety of fish sale outlets.

I just view the whole issue from the standpoint of: who has the most efficient capture gear? One, several, or fifty "bad apples" fishing via hook and line, or the same "screw the resource" mentality individual(s) fishing thousands of feet of monofilament gillnets. Given the declines in the lake trout stock in western Lake Superior, basic probability theory directs me to a different conclusion than that of the GLIFC fishery staff.

Just as a reminder: During the appeal of the Bays de Noc under-ice gill net subsistence fisher walleye and perch case. One of the Chippewa Ottawa Resource Authority fishery staff was asked, during his testimony, whether they had EVER turned-over an individual fisher(commercial or subsistence) who reported a catch discrepancy, to their enforcement staff for subsequent investigation. His answer? "No, not During my tenure!'

CORA was established in 2000. This testimony was given roughly two years ago by a CORA biologist who has been with them since formation.

up_north

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:58:22 AM »

Does anyone know where to find the literature from when netting was first allowed in Munising Bay? 15-20yrs ago maybe? Was told that the boundaries were admittedly wrong which allowed them to more or less choke off the bay, but they decided to let it go anyways.  I believe that it is set to expire sometime soon. Let's see if it even gets looked at before getting renewed.

camo

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 09:16:40 AM »

A full time creel census person at Black River Harbor for the summer is a total waste of money.  There is virtually no one there to check.  Fishing is horrible and thus people stay away including the locals.  I would love to see someone there all winter long checking the Indians crates.  I'd like to know how many coho they are taking in their "herring nets" as well as how many of the kings and Browns that are getting planted end up in their nets?  It's hard for any fishery to have a chance when you have 4 or 5 commercial boats running 20 miles of net.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 06:02:34 PM »

Does anyone know where to find the literature from when netting was first allowed in Munising Bay? 15-20yrs ago maybe? Was told that the boundaries were admittedly wrong which allowed them to more or less choke off the bay, but they decided to let it go anyways.  I believe that it is set to expire sometime soon. Let's see if it even gets looked at before getting renewed.

I think this contains the information you are after:
http://1836cora.org/documents/tribalfishingvol4no1.pdf

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:56:58 AM »

Next two meetings are in Escanaba and Iron Mountain this Wednesday and Thursday.

Northern Lake Michigan Management Unit

Wednesday, April 27, 6-8 p.m. (EST) at the DNR Pocket Park, 2401 12th Ave. N. in Escanaba

Thursday, April 28, 6-8 p.m. (CST) at Bay College West Campus (Room 231-A), 2801 U.S. 2 in Iron Mountain

CHRIS WAHL - BAY VIEW BAIT and TACKLE

Little Bay de Noc fish-a-holic

"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it."

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 08:03:16 AM »

Pretty pathetic turnout. My dad and I were the only ones to show up!

It was mostly an overview of the new regulations. We learned there are several new people working in the fisheries division. There are also upcoming expansions to the Thompson Creek fish hatchery, to increase production of steelhead, walleye, and musky.
CHRIS WAHL - BAY VIEW BAIT and TACKLE

Little Bay de Noc fish-a-holic

"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it."