upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vacuum Sealer  (Read 1885 times)

MPD068

• View Profile
Vacuum Sealer
« on: March 30, 2016, 12:51:48 PM »

Looking at buying a vacuum sealer for fish and wild game. Any suggestions on Brand? Thanks!
Blake
"HOT PURSUIT"

J.P.

• View Profile
Re: Vacuum Sealer
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 01:16:27 PM »

One of the Weston Pro versions that Cabelas sells when they're on sale.  Personally I wouldn't buy anything made by Foodsaver, but that's just because I've had bad luck with them. 

Chesapeake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:32:18 PM »

I had a Weston....hated it. Was a huge waste of a lot of money. Maybe I got a dud, but I went through all kinds of fixes with their customer service and it still sucked ( actually didn't suck). My dad's old food saver was way better. Just bought a new food saver, we'll see how that works.

trappert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:45:52 PM »

I have the 4400 food saver and it works great! 2 years running, time will tell, so far so good! :thmb:

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:40:53 PM »

I had a Foodsaver Professional 2 for over 12 years of steady use. Last year it finally started to fail. The key to using any home grade vacuum sealer is to isolate the moisture of the contents from the heating/sealing element. The best way to accomplish this is a food service roll of cling wrap (Saran wrap). The reason for a "food service" size is so you can use two hands to pull out the wrap, so it doesn't cling to itself. Just wrap your fish/game in "Saran Wrap" and put it in the vacuum bag and seal. I've never had a bad seal after  pre-wrapping my fish. You can get a box of cling wrap at GFS in Marquette for around $15. 
Dan Webb
Boat: Webb-Cast.Net
Home Port: Cinder Pond Marina

J.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 09:09:47 AM »

Funny how one guy has issues with one brand and another guy doesn't.  That being said I agree with Dan above on preparing what you want sealed.  With all the money I've spent on vacuum sealers my next one is going to be a chamber sealer and I'm not going to worry about moisture anymore. 

Got..Trout

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 12:01:13 PM »

After 10 years of use the old food saver gave it up.  Worked great, but there was always the liquid thing and the biggest issue was the price of the bags.  So I splurged and purchased a chamber unit.  (Vacmaster VP112)  Sort of a low end professional unit.  Had it about one year and has been a good unit.  The big thing is able to buy heavy duty bags for 5 cents each.  It is real nice to be able to add liquids to the bag and be able to seal without drawing any liquid out.  Great for marinades.  I was surprised by one thing.  This unit is touchy about sealing bags.  Must be perfectly clean and moisture free, must be perfectly aligned with enough slack and you must adjust the seal time for every different thickness of bag that you use.  Had some sealing failures at the start but now it is pretty fool proof.  Seems to me that I paid about $550.  Seems like a lot but I figure it will actually pay for its self in the price of the bags.

J.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »

That's one of the units I was looking at myself.  Good to hear someone locally who's got one.  The ability to vac seal liquids (soups, stews, etc) is what really appeals to me the most.  Thanks for the feedback!! 

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 09:29:10 AM »

Blake, if you do a high volume load of vaccum sealing or use a fair amount of pressure infused marinades to prep fish and game, swallow hard and get ready to spend around $400-500 for an entrey levvel commercial unit. I have a friend who lives in Anchorage. After paying to have his fish and game sealed at commercial facilities for several years, usually via Vacmaster commercial units, he finally broke down and bought his own.

Like Dan, I had a grey Foodsaver with twin pumps that performed like a champ for years. I let a friend use it to vacuum seal salmon and it suddenly became balky, failing to deflate at a rate of roughly one out of five or six bags. When I asked him how he did those fillets, he never mentioned making any effort to dry them off. When it finally died completely, I pulled the vacuum pumps out and dissected them-full of nasty gummy "former" liquid.

My duck hunting partner picked-up a commercial unit years ago (Don't know the brand.) that cost roughly the same as the base level Vacmaster, he swears by it.

MPD068

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 12:02:43 PM »

Thank You Gentleman!!! :beer:
Blake
"HOT PURSUIT"

Fishoil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 12:27:40 PM »

I've got a Cabela's one that cost about $180 several years ago and have been very happy with it. I use their rolls of plastic bag that you cut to size. I do a lot of fish with it and have never had any problems. I always fold up a sheet of paper towel and put it in between the meat and the end to be sealed to catch any moisture before it can get into the unit. If I have a bag failure it's usually from getting moved around in the freezer and punctured.
Steve

AnchorDragger

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 07:21:59 PM »

I've got a white FoodSaver that's 12-15 years old and still works great, I use it on venison, beef, etc. 

However I'm a bit unorthodox with fish,  I'll put my fish fillet in a zip in a ziplock bag, fill it with water and zip it except for the last 1/4" or so.  Then hold it upright and squeeze out the air and excess water and zip the last bit.  Freezing fish in water like this, I've never had freezer burn (even if you puncture the bag shuffling things in the freezer), and the fish always tastes as fresh as it was the day I froze it.
Steven Foster
1987 Celebrity Calais 19'