upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: flares versus led signal lite controversy  (Read 1378 times)

breeze

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
flares versus led signal lite controversy
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:59:04 AM »

I am trying to find out if this sirius signal for life electronic signal replaces the  flares required on watercraft,It is stated online that this signal is coast guard approved under the code of federal regulations 33CFR175.130 and it replaces the pyrogenic flares,however when I called the coast guard station, I was informed that according to their information pyrogenic flares are the requirement and the electronic flare is not listed. I sure do not want to buy a 100.00 led lite and still have to buy flares if this is the case.does anyone have any knowledge on this electronic signal product

MikeM

• View Profile
Re: flares versus led signal lite controversy
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 11:21:25 AM »

I do not recall the Coast Guard mentioning brands or types. But at the SSFA they did mention electronic signals were an option over flares for a night time signal.

Theora III

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 01:16:03 PM »

I have a couple, here is the info:

https://siriussignal.com/
Mark Hirvonen
Pursuit 2150 WA
Marquette and Barbeau, MI
Boat name: Theora III

breeze

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 08:30:10 AM »

The problem is that when I called the Coast guard station, a petty officier flat out said that flares are still required weather you have a signal lite or not on the open water, even though the signal lite is CG approved

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 06:54:23 AM »

Here is a portion of the rule defined (complete rule is shown in the attached PDF):

46 CFR 161.013-7 - Signal requirements.

ยง 161.013-7 Signal requirements.
(a) An electric light must have a flash characteristic of the International Morse Code for S-O-S and, under design conditions,
(1) Each short flash must have a duration of 1/3 second;
(2) Each long flash must have a duration of 1 second;
(3) The dark period between each short flash must have a duration of 1/3 second;
(4) The dark period between each long flash must have a duration of 1/3 second;
(5) The dark period between each letter must have a duration of 2 seconds;
(6) The dark period between each
S-O-S signal must have a duration of 3 seconds.
(b) The flash characteristics described in paragraph (a) must be produced automatically when the signal is activated.

Note that the smaller LED lights that are depicted as clipping on something, like a life vest are intended to meet 161.012 - flotation signaling devices.

I've not yet found any other products other than the one Mark shared a link to that meet 161.013.

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 10:41:26 AM »

For what it's worth, I spoke with Chris Connolly at the USCG Marquette station yesterday.  Chris told me that according to their boarding rules the use of an operating and USCG-approved electronic distress signaling device for night time use AND an orange USCG-approved flag for daytime use, satisfies the requirements for distress signaling devices for a typical non-commercial boat on the Great Lakes (i.e. under 40 foot recreational fishing boat).  Rules may differ for commercial, larger, or ocean going vessels.