upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Otter Boat half weight keel  (Read 1415 times)

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
Otter Boat half weight keel
« on: April 25, 2016, 04:37:53 PM »

Has anyone tried these? They say with this added the Otter Boats pull way harder, making copper and other heavier presentations much more effective. The price on these is just stupid, as seems to be the norm with most of Big Jon's products now. $70 a pop for an 8"x12" piece of 12 gauge stainless with two holes and two 90 degree bends. If anyone has tried them and say they work, I'll be headed to Pellow's to have a set made. Thanks. https://www.bigjon.com/product/otter-boats-half-keel

Dan Webb
Boat: Webb-Cast.Net
Home Port: Cinder Pond Marina

MikeM

• View Profile
Re: Otter Boat half weight keel
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 05:41:36 PM »

It is interesting they removed the weight. I have seen their old style advertised, did not realize they came out with a new style. I do not recall ever having problems with mine stock, at least not enough to justify that amount.

saus36

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:35:38 PM »

My buddy had the otter boats I let him borrow my super skis he said my boards pulled way better than the otter boats might be cheaper for a pair of those bigger boards

YooperTroll

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »

I run big double boards. I wouldn't mess around with otters. Otters are so bulky you need a big ass boat just to take them with and they don't pull much weight. I can easily run 3 - 400 coppers on each side if you're into that sort of thing.  roll()
Luck favors the prepared

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:46:14 PM »

saus-That's what I was thinking. A set of Amish Outfitter boards are about $30 more than two otter upgrade keels.  http://www.fishusa.com/product/Amish-Outfitters-Plastic-Planer-Boards

Dan Webb

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 11:48:39 PM »

Nice timing Dave! Looks like we were both typing the same thing at the same time.
Dan Webb

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 06:48:49 AM »

Dan, all they (Big Jon) did was increase the vertical  surface area to make the boat body plane out to the side more and pull harder. Dropping the weight may have helped, but unless you have several lines out (2 or more) the boat body may bounce in a heavy chop (interesting lure action imparted). 

I followed Dan Audette's approach and cut a couple of flat dodger bodies out of some scrap I came by via Jeff Branam. I mounted these flat to the bottoms of the weights after filing the edges and painting them. They pull long copper fine now. Dave is right, they do take up space. Karen made me a pair of heavy storage bags out of Sunbrella fabric that clipped on the hardtop legs. The bags have drains in them to handle rain water accumulation. I just slide the keel in and the the board body slides in vertically.

Now, that I sold my Conquest, I will be paring down some my planer boards and rees, some 9' and 9'6" Talora rods w/ Shimano 300 linecounter reels because I won't have the room in the 21' CC I made an offer on...assuming I get it.

saus36

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:24:15 PM »

I've seen em used on ebay for less than 100 bucks for the double boards