upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sick to my stomach  (Read 5284 times)

captainken

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sick to my stomach
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 12:40:32 AM »

Now, lets throw-in the GLIFWC Tribal fishers caught selling thousands of pounds of non-target Great Lakes fish illegally into the commercial international fish market via a fish wholesaler in Wisconsin... Yes, I know, that is Treat of 1842 stuff, not Treaty of 1836 related violations....oddly, I notice one constant... it ain't the gear being used to harvest Great Lakes fish!!!

Not all 1842 waters. The walleye illegally being sold in the 2014 Federal case were coming from Little Bay de Noc. Agents purchased walleye from subsistence tribal fishers who knowingly and willingly violated the Lacey Act. No arrests or prosecutions as of yet that I know of....WHY?  We used to average 29,000 sport caught walleyes per year in LBDN...last year the sportfish harvest was only 4,007 fish.  A lot sure has changed since the year 2000!  There are mechanisms built into the treaty that the State of Michigan could have employed to stop the destruction of a world class fishery...but they chose not to.  They are just as at fault as the ones who are doing the netting and illegally selling of fish!!!
Capt. Ken Lee
Bay de Noc Charters
http://www.baydenoccharters.net

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 06:15:28 AM »

Thank you for posting that information, Ken. I had heard that they had swooped-up some 1836 Treaty Tribal "fishers" in that sting, but had never seen any hard information on what they were selling. The USFWS enforcement people have access to the Door County based wholesalers purchase records, which would "connect the dots" to a great many more incidents.

I can sleep soundly knowing that my Federal representative, Dan Benishek and his staff are surely on top of this issue, since he and they are fighting for the U.P.!!!

I forgot one important point earlier; when you kill a fish that is spawning, you not only remove the biomass and associated caloric energy from the population, but also the gametes: the one instance where a fish actually represents more than one entity in the population of that species. Basically, this is why season closures exist during spawning intervals to protect the stock while it propagates.

I know this will not be very palatable(I read Schneeberger's report on walleye stocks in Bays de Noc waters.), but the walleye stock restoration plan for the Bays de Noc involved planting many thousands more fish per year than a stable population that used all spawning habitat available would actually exist at. Basically, fill the "bowl" to capacity based on forage availability and consequently  spread the fish out throughout the water body to re-establish a self-sustaining stock that will eventually stabilize at a significantly lower density level.  Now, add-in the impacts of Dreissenid mussels on the Bay's inherent productivity (which, was quite high...why Green Bay was named Green Bay), reducing internal productivity and again lowering walleye stock carrying capacity.

The salmon fishery off Fairport, as well as the fishery that exists in the Canyon and off Cedar River is also a function of more fertile (even now, or actually, particularly now) waters within the Bays de Noc system as wind and current action moves the water around the Bays and in and out of the archipelago island chain channels separating the open waters of Lake Michigan from Green Bay waters.

kevin rahmlow

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 08:26:51 AM »

As in Wisconsin when they cleaned out the northern lakes reduced limits to 1 or 2 fish and down the road from the landings washtubs of walleyes would be dumped on the sides of the roads of the fish that were just speared it was always about the treaty that same treaty states more than 6 indians off the reservation at one time constitutes a war party and they may be shot on site! But im sure the federal judge Barb Crabb would not enforce that part of the treaty even tho its only a few paragraghs from the one giving them their spearig rights!
Pages: 1 [2]