upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wild Agaracus sp. mushrooms are popping  (Read 1547 times)

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Wild Agaracus sp. mushrooms are popping
« on: June 27, 2016, 05:43:21 AM »

Agaricus campestris mushrooms are out. These are the far more flavorful wild cousins of domestic mushrooms; white with pale pink gills that grade to chocolate as the spores mature.  The spore print is chocolate brown. Nick the cap flesh and check for a color change from white to dull reddish. There is one variety that bruises yellow that can cause gastric issues in some consumers. Golf courses, yards, field edges and openings are all spots where you may find some clusters.

RedStag

• New Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Agaracus sp. mushrooms are popping
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »

"Agaricus campestris mushrooms"  Is there a laymans term or other name that the mushroomers call these mushrooms ?

Let me take care of that for you.

http://bfy.tw/6TyM

Blacklab

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 09:56:50 PM »

A total "classic" Big Arn comment, "google it!" Priceless

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:42:28 PM »

How do they compare as far as taste, moisture, and texture when compared to grocery store button 'shrooms? Thanks
Dan Webb
Boat: Webb-Cast.Net
Home Port: Cinder Pond Marina

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:37:28 PM »

I can see why one would list a "non main stream" wild mushroom by it's scientific name. There is way too much confusion from regional or nicknames. One example that I can think of is the "giant Michigan caddis fly". The worst thing about  this nickname is that it p*sses me off that so many so called fly fishing experts call a mayfly a caddis. In the case of mushrooms, someone could DIE from eating the wrong one.
Dan Webb
Boat: Webb-Cast.Net
Home Port: Cinder Pond Marina

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 11:39:02 AM »

Dan, they look just like the store mushrooms when still in the button stage. Much more flavorful, that is why I posted the heads up. As the caps pull away from the stem, there is a thin white veil membrane.

Only name I have ever seen is "Wild Agaric".  I used to routinely get thrown off the MSU golf course after a heavy rain;nearly always with a grocery bag full of them.

Pick 'em, nick 'em, if the gills change from pale pink to chocolate and they don't turn yellow were you nicked them. Okay!  I always eat a piece of any mushroom I am not sure off-about a nickel to quarter sized chunk, and then wait twenty-four hours to see what impact it has.

Any mushroom you pull out of the ground that has a bulbous base(look like a green onion stalk or a leek) is likely an Aminita sp. Many of these are poisonous and hallucinogenic.  I know a guy who survived because his partner took him to an emergency room. He said he felt great...not a care in the world! Yeah, I guess.

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 10:12:04 PM »

My dad had a patch of false morels that came up every year in his L Superior fish shack driveway. He loved em and thought they were the white morels. He said they kept him 'regular'.  ;D
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 04:28:35 AM »

My dad had a patch of false morels that came up every year in his L Superior fish shack driveway. He loved em and thought they were the white morels. He said they kept him 'regular'.  ;D

My wife's aunt and uncle ate them routinely, Doris is still alive at 79.

Two are edible from what I remember, with some having some G.I. side effects. One other species causes severe gastric distress consistently.