upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Blueberries?  (Read 1320 times)

chum bucket

• Brown Trout Derby 2011
    • View Profile
Blueberries?
« on: August 09, 2016, 09:24:17 AM »

Watched Discovering last night.  They had a story on the paradise Blueberry festival.  Are the berries out yet?  Down here in Menominee County I've never really found them.  Haven't gone picking for them in over 20 yrs.   Was thinking it might be a fun family activity this weekend if they were any good this year.  Not looking for anybody's favorite spot,  just some general info and recommendations on where to look.  Thanks

If I keep up fishing like this, my wife is going to have an intervention for me.

Bruno

• View Profile
Re: Blueberries?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 04:59:39 PM »

Off Red road north of Ishpeming usually has some berries. Have not been out that way this year though, so not sure about this years crop.
Erik Johnson
191 V Islander

Dragon balls

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 06:34:38 PM »

Between Newberry and paradise there are a bunch of blueberries. The wife and I picked 3 gallons in 1 1/2 hours a couple nights ago. If you come this way call me 906-287-0126. I will text you a map of where to go. Chad

UPAKenny

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 09:46:52 AM »

If all of the cars and assumed berry pickers along M-553 between Gwinn and Marquette are any indication, it's a good year for blueberries!   
Kenny

chum bucket

• Brown Trout Derby 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 06:51:03 AM »

Thanks for the info.   Going on Sunday, hoping this hot and humid weather breaks by then.
If I keep up fishing like this, my wife is going to have an intervention for me.

backwoodswalker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 09:07:58 AM »

Interesting. Blueberries peaked out around here a week ago. Not many left. This is outstanding raspberry year. Lots of nice big ones. Blackberry's are a couple weeks out yet.  Have fun.  Be safe. And enjoy the berries.  Steve

Fishoil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 04:40:16 PM »

Are the blueberries done or are there still a few to be found? We were picking way north in Ontario 2 weeks ago so I'm guessing the UP is pretty well done. They were plentiful and sweet up there, but small. They sure made good pie this weekend though.  :thmb:
Steve

chum bucket

• Brown Trout Derby 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 08:39:26 PM »

Was trying to head north for a little brook trout fishing and stopped by the Sands area.  Few berries left, pretty mushy.  Just look for the Hornets and fight with them for what's left.  Got enough for a batch pancakes this morning.