upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Found some Porcini mushroom clusters...  (Read 1314 times)

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Found some Porcini mushroom clusters...
« on: August 25, 2016, 08:58:07 AM »

Hit two big clusters yesterday in the rain. These are Boletus edulis. All have a copper/brown cap with sponge gills, gowing in conifer stands. Good in soups and italian sauces.

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
Re: Found some Porcini mushroom clusters...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 11:36:15 PM »

You interested in some giant puffball powder Wolf?
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 05:08:25 AM »

We were given some polenta made with puffball powder, interesting addition to the overall taste. Did you make it? Our friend shaved the slices quite thin and dried them on a food dehydrator rack prior grinding them. She said they are far less dense than ground wheat flour. IF the interior of the puffball is still white they are edible off-white to brown-black or purple-black and I leave them alone due to safety concerns.

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 11:34:47 PM »

We were given some polenta made with puffball powder, interesting addition to the overall taste. Did you make it? Our friend shaved the slices quite thin and dried them on a food dehydrator rack prior grinding them. She said they are far less dense than ground wheat flour. IF the interior of the puffball is still white they are edible off-white to brown-black or purple-black and I leave them alone due to safety concerns.

I kicked one open to spread the spores around and then read up how to grow them. roll() I don't have any growing  conditions on my properties like where I found them on the neighbor's place. Spore planting slurry looks easy to make but if I don't utilize em whats the sense. I get my toadstools from Super-1. Might be good with Chinook caviar. ((shudder))
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 06:52:40 AM »

If they come up, I think you will be surprised at the taste difference...fresh mushrooms, recently picked are damn good! Wash 'em, then slice them thin (1/4") and fry them up. 

Agaricus campestris is the store bought mushroom you are buying in button form. These grow wild in fields and do particularly well on fairway margins on golf courses, and they are about three-fold tastier than their commercial version.  When they first open the gills will be light pink. As they mature the gills will turn deep chocolate brown. Nick the flesh with you thumb nail to see if it will turn red or yellow:

http://mushroom-collecting.com/mushroomhorse.html

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 10:05:55 PM »

I have a couple baby portobellas, depending on size, in a large ham salad for lunch every day. If the puffballs come back I'll give em a try but thats as far as my adventurous wild toadstool enthusiasm permits.
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 04:37:01 AM »

My grandmother could not tolerate white morels.  The safe way to go is to eat about a dime size piece of any mushroom you have never consumed before and wait 24hours.  Any mushroom with a stalk that forms a bulb at the base where it attaches to the mycellium (roots) in the ground gets tossed (Aminitas sp.).  I know a guy whose wife is from Czechoslovakia, she boils one of the deadliest Aminitas, the fly agaric; dries them and eats them.  For me, too many other easily identifiable edibles that don't bite back!

Look up shaggy manes, these are an easily identifiable wild mushroom that is edible choice! They tend to grow in compacted soils, so you have to thoroughly wash the sand off them or they tend to be gritty when cooked-up.  Al, they are excellent with a steak, moo cow or venison. They are even better with moose!

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »

Look up shaggy manes, these are an easily identifiable wild mushroom that is edible choice! They tend to grow in compacted soils, so you have to thoroughly wash the sand off them or they tend to be gritty when cooked-up.  Al, they are excellent with a steak, moo cow or venison. They are even better with moose!

Be good with this McClellan Ave resident then eh?
Finally spotted her with a buck and unknown baldy today across from the daycare place. Went home and got the camera and still there feeding on top of the hill @ 60yds..

Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI