upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Honey mushrooms  (Read 2867 times)

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Honey mushrooms
« on: September 08, 2016, 06:33:55 AM »

With this rain, it should be about time for them to start popping on oak stumps.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Re: Honey mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 07:10:14 AM »

Tons of different mushrooms out, picked some coral mushrooms to eat and a few Boletus edulis, but no honey mushrooms out yet. Most of the porcini I found were pretty fly riddled and worthless.

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 04:14:50 PM »

These have visibly grown since I took the pic couple days ago next to a size 14 shoe.

Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 05:07:18 PM »

Al, look-up giant puffball mushrooms...these are edible choice. The trick is to cut them into half inch thick sliced prior cooking as long as the interior (spore chamber in puffballs is in the interior core) is still white they are good to go.

I hit the mother load of porcinis today while jump shooting ducks down on Bay de Noc...easily ten pounds wet weight in good quality caps and stems, with no bugs. Giada Di Laurentis eat your hear out!!

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 07:00:17 AM »

I picked four gallons of button-phase honey mushrooms Armariella mellea yesterday. I could have picked another four gallons of fully open phase as well.  While walking-out I glanced over to my left about forty yards from the truck an noticed some bright mushrooms growing under the hardwood canopy on the forest floor. After dropping-off the mushrooms, I grabbed another container and walked back. I found a 40'x20' patch of chanterelle mushrooms, biggest single concentration of these I have ever found. Both of these are considered edible choice by Miller.

michiganman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 02:02:49 PM »

DireWolf, The ones in my yard just started a few days ago. They are always around the oak stumps. Do the honey mushrooms only grow near hardwoods (stumps and roots,etc) or can they be on conifers also ?

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 05:40:44 AM »

I have picked Honey mushrooms off dead yellow birch, aspen, and maple; but mostly I find them oak stumps or growing off old roots near the surface.  Their mycellium (mushroom equivalent of roots) is a cottony-white mass, and the mushroom grow in clusters from what mainly appears to be a common site of origin from the rotting wood.  IF your lawn mushrooms are arrayed in a rough ring-like circle, growing individually(not clusters), and are honey  brown with thick gills and generally thin stems, they are likely Marasmius sp. or Fairy ring mushrooms.  These too are edible choice, but I would still encourage you to get a mushroom guide and use their dichotomous keys to identify them.

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~6399.asp

With any mushroom you have not eaten previously, try a dime sized or smaller piece after identification, and wait 24 hours to determine your tolerance level.  My grandmother had an allergy to white morels...she loved them, but they did not return the favor every time she consumed them!

michiganman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 09:46:59 AM »

Thank you for taking the time to respond with a great explanation and resource site. My honeys are always in clumps at the oak stumps . I have been eating them for a few years now. The "conifers" question came up because a few days ago I found large bunches (still in the button stage) around trees and stumps that were mostly spruce and balsam. They looked almost exactly the same as the Armillaria mellea I have growing by my oak stumps.
   Thanks again for sharing your knowledge

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 05:24:29 PM »

I picked another four gallons of button phase Honey mushrooms, as well as a gallong and a half of chanterelles in three other locations.

Here is a nice overview of the various edible mushrooms that grow in relative abundance:

http://themushroomforager.com/2011/09/27/foragecast-the-weight/

DanaM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 07:12:41 AM »

Nice web site, I would love to learn more about mushrooms, be nice if someone local would offer to do a class.

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 07:07:01 PM »

Took a walk around the edge of my yard and found black trumpet, honey and coral mushrooms. Pretty cool. Thanks for the tips. Still scared to eat them even when 95% sure on id.
Andy Allan
Boat Name: Hydro Hooker

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 08:34:18 PM »

Pic of honey mushrooms. Anyone confirm?
Andy Allan

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 08:37:02 PM »

Black trumpet
Andy Allan

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 08:37:42 PM »

Coral
Andy Allan

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 05:51:01 AM »

Pic of honey mushrooms. Anyone confirm?

Yes, those are button phase Honey mushrooms. It will save you some clean-up time to just cut them off at the cluster's base, leaving the dirt and grit behind. If you have never cooked these, they initially cook-down to a very high viscosity broth, just keep them on medium-low from there on to get them finished.

I would be very careful when eating corrals, a lot of them are poisonous. I.D. is critical...

Congratualtions on the Black Trumpets, I have never found enough for a meal while picking.
Pages: [1] 2